2001 Freightliner fld 120 keeps purging off air every 10 seconds

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Adamjorgy, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Adamjorgy

Adamjorgy Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2015
    I was driving Down the interstate yesterday and noticed my truck started purging off air about every 10 seconds.. Figured it was the governor or purge valve. Replaced them both this morning and still does it.. Air gauge shows its holding constant good pressure so I don't know what else it could be. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

And you are sure it's purging air? Should be dropping air pressure of it's purging.

4. Adamjorgy

Adamjorgy Bobtail Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Doesn't drop pressure compressor must be constantly running? Just blows off air way to often now

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would check the Purge Valve on the Air Dryer and check the Braided Air Line from the Governor to the Air Dryer for leaks.

6. turnanburn

turnanburn Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2011
    central Vermont
    Purging where? From the air dryer or from the compressor?

7. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    The dryer purge signal comes from the governor, which gets air from the wet tank. You will not see any leaks in the wet tank on the dash gauges because there isn't a gauge for the wet tank and the primary and secondary tanks have check vales.

If you are not losing air on the gauges, your left with only 1 thing that could cause excessive purging, an air leak draining the wet tank. This includes the lines to/from the governor, the governor itself, compressor unloader, purge valve, any lines before the check valves to other tanks, hose from the dryer to the tank, dryer check valve, etc. Basically anything that can drain the wet tank when it leaks.

turnanburn Thanks this.
  8. granhawler

granhawler Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Mine was doing the same thing, checked all lines & fittings, replaced governor, unloader valves & purge valve & still didn't fix it. It was the dryer check valve causing the problem.

9. dustinbrock

dustinbrock Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2012
    saskatoon,sk
    Did you drain your air tanks to make sure they aren't full of water or methyl hydrate or anything? that'll make it cycle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.