2001 peterbilt 379 A/C will not go on to dash setting.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by calvinbabb, Jul 23, 2016.

1. calvinbabb

calvinbabb Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ok. had to change the switch out that controls the vent mixers cause the actual owner kept trying to turn it thinking it wasn't going far enough to go to the dash setting. I'm the normal driver of this truck. the mixer for the dash, floor, defrost setting has been finicky for some time but able to find a sweet spot to make the air come from the dash however, not any more. i replaced the switch yesterday and it will still only go to the floor and the defrost. took apart the dash and check all 3 actuators and the one for the vents, and hot/ cold mixers work fine and are turning full range of motion. the one for the fresh air/ recirculate does not work but that should affect the air going to the dash. any ideas why the air still will not make it to the dash?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Not sure, but I think it's great you try to figure this stuff out yourself. Not too many drivers want to help out like that.

4. calvinbabb

Apr 28, 2016
    Trenton, Fl.
    yea, i do most of the work to the truck i can. this had just got me. my feet freeze of the windshield sweets cause of the cold air. can't get a happy medium so have to fix it somehow. was hoping someone else has went through this and found the fix. we are in the process of restoring the old beast as well as running it. other than body work this is our last issue. just put a new motor in it and have completely went through the suspension and rebuilt it.

Attached Files:

5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    On mine the actuating arm wore out. The actuator was fine. I rebuilt it with epoxy and its been good.

6. strollinruss

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Older trucks are the way to go. Especially when the driver can da a few things on his own.

7. calvinbabb

Apr 28, 2016
    Trenton, Fl.
    I'll have to check that. it looked fine but never know. was it the arm on the actuator in the center of the dash right?

8. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    It was on the heater box itself. The arm operates the actual flapper door inside the box. The actuator is bolted to the outside of the box.

rachi Thanks this.
  9. strollinruss

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    The little arm might be stripped where it screws into actuator

calvinbabb Thanks this.
  10. calvinbabb

Apr 28, 2016
    Trenton, Fl.
    OK, took the actuator apart and found that it was not moving full range. Only 25 percent. Large gear cracked so flipped the gear 180* and works fine now. Ordered a new actuator and use this one till the new one comes in.

strollinruss, Klleetrucking and rachi Thank this.
  11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Good on you for helping the guy out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.