2001 Volvo VNL660 Erratic Road Speed

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by SebN0414, Aug 24, 2016.

1. SebN0414

SebN0414 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    I have a 20001 Volvo D12C 465/ 10 speed eaton autoshift. While driving down the road ill have the speedometer start jumping up and down and the engine starts to cut in & out intermittently every few seconds while giving it gas, if i let it idle down the road nothing happens. Had codes for Accelerator Pedal Position % and speed sensor on the transmission. I replaced the accelerator pedal and the 2 speed sensors on the transmission. The truck was fine for a few weeks, no codes or any issues. Then all those symptoms came back, but no codes were showing up. Found out i didn't have the correct EECU on the engine. I got the proper EECU and got it programmed for my truck at a VOLVO dealer. Picked the truck up from the dealer and everything was working great. I drove the truck about 350KM and the truck started acting up again. The truck started showing me codes and a "Check Cab Controller at next stop" Message.
    The Codes:
    Cab Controller
    SAE J1708 DATA LINK
    MID 144
    SID 250
    FMI 5

Cab Controller
    Road Speed
    Electrical Fault
    MID 144
    PID 084
    FMI 5

Engine

Road Speed
    Unknown Fault
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 11

Engine
    Road Speed
    Communication Error
    MID 128
    PID 084
    FMI 9

I ended up changing the Cab Controller(VECU) thinking it was over heating and shorting out, because everytime i would let the truck sit for more than 8 hours it would be fine for about 20min of driving till everything came back. If anyone has any idea what this could be i would greatly appreciate any input.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Who is doing this expensive troubleshooting for you? If it is a repair shop, then you need to change shops. First, load test and check all battery connections because that is where transmission gets power and ground from. Chances are that the transmission harness is where your problem is. The harness has been updated at least twice since 2001. With proper diagnostic tools and steps being followed, this problem should be found and fixed rather easily.

4. SebN0414

SebN0414 Bobtail Member

Aug 24, 2016
    Over a year ago, M&K Vovlo/Mack in Kalamazoo,Mi replaced the EECU and the engine harness, because the oil pressure sensor sent oil through the electrical lines and fried my original EECU. They ended up putting in a used/working but not responsive EECU onto my truck. Now this issue came up and i took it to my local Volvo dealer to get it checked. Plugging into the diagnostic port on the truck it was not allowing them to access the truck at all. So i took the truck back to my shop, pulled the EECU off the engine and tried comparing part numbers to the 5 i was given by the dealer, ended up it was for a d12B with a standard transmission. I tracked down one of the new super seeded part numbers for the EECU and had them program it. Once programmed the truck was running like a new truck, until a little driving the truck started acting up and i had the "Check Cab Controller at next stop" and the codes above came on as active. Usually with an active short somewhere i shows a value of how many times the codes is shorting in and out. But these codes just say active with no actual value.

As of right now; I pulled the doghouse off, dropped the drive shaft, check all my connections on the main transmission harness, pulled the harness off the transmission that has all the power and data link lines, removed the cover on the engine harness housing where the data link lines run too. Now I am starting to remove all the electrical tape, plastic protectors on all the cables and hopefully ill find a break in the lines somewhere. I also ordered the Main transmission harness and will have tomorrow morning, most likely will replace even though it looks okay you never no with old cables.

I've already had the joy of redoing the whole ABS electrical system on this truck, so hopefully i will find something today and get it all resolved tomorrow. I've been down for about 3 weeks so fingers crossed.

5. Adstrucking86

Adstrucking86 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2016

6. Adstrucking86

Adstrucking86 Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Have you had any steering or suspension work done in the last month or two? If so have that place calibrate your steering linkage. I had that problem about 6 months ago after having my steering system replaced

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.