2001 W-900B headlight issue

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by lococreeklivestock, Sep 4, 2015.

1. lococreeklivestock

lococreeklivestock Bobtail Member

Nov 15, 2014
    My 2001 W-900B had developed an issue where the headlights will quite randomly and either come right back on or flicker on or off and then come back on. Another driver said he experienced a similar issue with his T-800 and said it was the weather pack connector under the cab get corroded and starts to fail. Anyone else have an issue with?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Also pull your fuse panel back and look for corrosion on the back side. The windshield may have a leak.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    My truck is older. Washernut on the dash switch was loose, controls ground apparently.

5. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    Another possible cause is the flex wiring below the hood hinge/s, any place wires flex repeatedly is a likely place for the wiring to crack/break inside the insulation, while having the outward appearance of being in good condition.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Can you hear a circuit breaker cycling when the lights go out? Due to safety regulations, headlights are supposed to be on an auto-reset style circuit breaker rather than a fuse. I have sometimes seen them trip simply because they started getting weak over time. That and the fact that if you like keeping the cab heat aimed at the floor, it can warm up the fuse box and that little extra heat can cause a weak breaker to trip. Either that or you have a ground fault (ie wire rubbed on the frame somewhere). If the breaker is cycling, be sure to replace it as they get weaker each time they cycle on/off.

brian991219 and bubbanbrenda Thank this.
  7. lococreeklivestock

Nov 15, 2014
    Thank you. I can't hear it cycling but I think I will try this first and check the spots the other guys were mentioning. It just started but the truck was laid over on it's side last fall, not hurt bad but may have stretched some wires, it's just weird that it just now started after all this time and it has been dry out. I have ran it plenty at night after it got back from the shop and this just started last week.

8. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I could hear the breaker on my 94 and we found a place in the wiring coming from the turn signal grounding on the frame of the steering column. I finally had to disconnect the low beams and reaim the high beams just to get home.

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I just started having the same issue on my 00' W900L tonight. It happened once while I was parked at the truck stop messing with it. I switched relays with another one but that didn't help.

10. lococreeklivestock

Nov 15, 2014
    My headlight switch was loose so I tightened it up but then they did it again. I will have to try the plugs next....

11. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    check ground from headlight bucket to side of radiator/CAC, there is one on each side. if that's not it make sure all the dash grounds are clean and tight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.