2001 W900 cummins isx no electrical when key switched on

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by roanhorse, Jan 6, 2016.

1. roanhorse

roanhorse Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Pearsall, TX
    Was hoping someone else has run across this issue, when I turn key to on or accessory lose all power like a circuit breaker opens, dome light and everything disappear for about a minute.
    Started with a ticket for no ABS lights when key switched on.
    Determined the circuit breakers in the kick panel for the diagonals (15A) had gone bad, these were fun to find since they are obsolete and have been for sometime.
    While replacing them decided to replace all circuit breakers on kick panel for ABS ECU system. also put on new jake switch and tried cleaning out ABS diagnostics button/switch.
    Reassembled
    Turned key on, Everything lit up but ABS light so assumed bulb must be out but thought I would cycle it again, no ABS light, so I thought hey I'll look at the trailers light. Cycled once more watched for trailer light, no trailer ABS light either then "click", no power.
    Pulled kick panel back off, Have full voltage to Diagonals (is that right?) with key in the off position
    Determined that I can run diagnostics by putting the Diagonals battery wire on the battery side of the ECU Windows and Jake, don't know what good that is other than I know my ECU is not fried, fuel pump runs and everything just like when key is in the on position, but it's off.
    Decided truck must not like new circuit breakers, disconnected both battery side wires on ECU block and turned key, Same thing, shuts off all lights.
    Could my ignition switch coincidentally given up on me at the same time I replaced these circuit breakers? Or am I overlooking something.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roanhorse

roanhorse Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Pearsall, TX
    Nevermind, went out to lock it up and it started , still no ABS light but I'm not gonna press my luck

4. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    Do believe that ABS power comes from the alternator over to the fire wall beside the PD box (power distribution box) there are 3 fuses and relays, they are for abs, trailer brake lights, and trailer cord center pin. check the fuses and relays for power. also check the 135 amp breaker on firewall, it feeds all cab power, it could be weak, corroded etc.

bigguns and roanhorse Thank this.
  5. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Just where is this 135 amp breaker on the firewall?

6. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    The breaker is on the little shelf like thing above the engine at center of firewall. the starter relay should be next to it. the purpose of the breaker is to protect cab power. so one post will have a single power wire that supplies the cab, the other post has two wires, one from alternator and other to starter/battery supply. also make sure the power wire going into the PD box is clean and has good contact.

bigguns Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.