2001kw starting prouble

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by HDrider*brett, Aug 8, 2016.

1. HDrider*brett

HDrider*brett Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2016
    I have 2001 w900 with a 6NZ when I try to start it the thing just clicks I put new starter on it but it still dose the same thing. I can turn the key switch several times and it will start but it takes a few times what the heck could be wrong and what do l now any help would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gottaylor

gottaylor Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2012
    sunrise,fl
    i smell a bad battery, ies check every one of them

4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Probably already have it figured out by now. If you still need help and have a dvom (digital volt ohm meter) post again and I can help.

5. kwcam

kwcam Light Load Member

Dec 29, 2012
    at the shop
    probably the relay on the fire wall getting tired, easy to replace.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Entire battery stack is going to be bad. Root cause is probably alternator or a deep short somewhere that is a parasite on your voltage.

Those slow shorts leave you with like... 10 volts when you turn the key ready to crank the engine but sit there for a moment, let the computer sweep the gauges and ergo! 10 volts maybe a skosh over 9 volts instead of the expected 13 something or 12 something volts. I get worried when the voltage gauge does not show at least 12.5 volts because you are going to get a little bit of crank before you kill the batteries, and the closer you drift or fall lower to 9 volts required to keep a computer booted and running without itself bricking the whole experience of trying to start a drying truck becomes a running sore that really is going to make a mess on your day. 4 batteries to check, cabling and ternimals to check on each of them. Trace em to the starter motor, check each one. Then follow the harness elsewhere usually the fuse box to hunt shorted something if you did not already see a code thrown after a failed gauge pre-start sweep. (Diagnostic prior to start up...)

It then becomes a exercise in which you need a volt meter somewhere it can see overall the ohms in resistance waiting literally for it to remain in ohms resistance after you pull the right subsystem fuse that is containing the parasite short that is draining your rig electrically. Or it could be something as simple as rolling through the salt treatment in winter that got under your battery cover and generated a path between batteries to short quietly until it evaporated away in a few hours time. OR any number of problems including trailer systems that might be compromise and the whole thing is a parasite on the tractor.

Lovely.

Im a go away now and get a nice stiff drink. It hurts my head to type all that out knowing some of you are gonna go HUH? Then I have to dig up you tube videos to show you in pretty pictures how to follow up a parasite short.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.