2004 Volvo having cruise and engine brake issues

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by hahler2, Oct 5, 2015.

1. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    not that i know off you can disconnect the air line and see it should be only your second position working on the engine brake then you know if it doesn't act up u know you have a problem from the valve or the cylinder.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. v6killer

v6killer Medium Load Member

Dec 6, 2010
    ChicagoLand
    My engine brake is weak.....
    The epg, does that box ever wear out, like the valve doesn't want to close or open all the way, I you can hear air leaking, as soon as you turn off the engine, air leak stops.
    While the engine is running the air comes goes, I'm assigning the valve is opening and closing
    Is the valve sticking open ? Or is it not closing all the way ?
    The dealer wants to replace the epg and electronic board assembly with an air line attach to it.
    Which is the problem EPG or the valve assembly that connects to an air line ?

4. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    Is it a manual transmission? If so pull the clutch up with your toes from the back. The engine break and cruise control could be that the system is sensing that you're on the clutch and doesn't want to engage.

Just a simple suggestion if you haven't tried it.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. hahler2

hahler2 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I did check the clutch. Thank you for the idea though. It will be a few weeks before I can get to a dealer. Will get back to you guys as soon as I learn something.

6. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Volvo Usually Does have weak engine Brake but don't replace both valves at once cuz that #### gets expensive, replace the one that supplies the air in my opinion and then replace the EPG but if you can test them, its easier to tell which one is messing up

7. hahler2

hahler2 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok so an update. I finally got to drive the truck a little bit today. I can verify that there are no codes being thrown. Only codes in it were for the light control module and that's cause of the backup lights.

I really started to pay attention to how it was behaving. And here's what I found. The engine brake is still working even after the first trip. However, it only works in position 2, and even then, it's so faint as to barely even be noticeable. Even when empty. Before it was nothing special, especially compared to my other truck with a C15 Cat, but you could at least tell that it was working and helping some. Does this help anyone point to what it could be?

8. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Im pretty sure that your epg valve is either shot or someone disconnected it, volvo engine brake will absolutely never compare to a c15 engine brake, you can change the epg valve and see what happens after that. possible valve adjustment if not done so already, also since you're there change the engine brake valve in the engine it's relatively cheap.

9. hahler2

hahler2 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2012
    Is the epg valve something I can change myself or does it take special tools? I'm trying to avoid a trip to the dealer if I can since it's almost 4 hours away.

The engine brake valve. Where is that located at? Is that something I can do myself also?

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    you should be able to do them yourself just be careful with the air line going behind the starter you need a 7/8 wrench make sure you remove the line before unbolting the valve that way you avoid breaking the air line. other than that there is one 1/4 airline going to it and a electrical connection and three 12 mil bolts pretty simple the engine brake valve is simple as well need to remove valve cover right in the middle of the engine two 12 mil bolts and two 8 mil holding wires just make sure you put wires back in their place and replace purple o rings

Misterj313 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  11. blr300

blr300 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    St. Thomas Ont. Canada
    Just a thought on your cruise control. I chased my problem for 8 months til I figured it out. Big annoying nightmare. I changed the micro switches on the brake and clutch, clutch spring, signal stalk arm, new tps and speed sensor on tranny. Nothing I did fixed it for more then a week. Back on labour day weekend I took all the battery wires off and the fuses behind the battery and cleaned everything. I got rid of the bars that connect the batteries together and replaced with the thick cable type. I also replaced the ground strap with a new thick cable from the motor to the frame. I coated everything in dielectric grease and tightened everything. Knock on wood but its been over six weeks and no issue. Might be worth spending a couple hours to do all this. It might cure your problem. These trucks can be really finicky if voltage isn't just right. If it doesn't though....its still a good thing to do for your electrical. Good luck. Hope you fix it

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.