2004 Volvo with Freedomline 12 speed transmission?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by manisa, May 11, 2015.

1. manisa

manisa Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Hi everyone. I am interested in buying a 2004 Volvo Cummins ISX with a Freedomline 12 speed transmission no clutch. Truck has 850k miles on it. I love the truck and engine but what makes me worry is the transmission. I know this company left the US market. Will this transmission make a big headache for me when there is a problem? Can I replace it with an eaton fuller or manuel in the future? The truck is good and and the price is really cheap.
    thanks for your answers

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I would look elsewhere and for a 13 Speed Manual. I think Autotragic transmissions are nice, just not in a Heavy Duty Truck.

Unless you already own the truck outright already or buying the truck for next to nothing, the cost to convert one to a Manual Transmission would be Cost Prohibitive, you're better off looking for a truck that is already equipped with one.

The truck is cheap (price-wise) for a reason.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  4. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    .Just replaced my Freedomline with a manual 13. The Freedomline is great when it works but once you encounter a problem they can get very pricey to fix.

5. manisa

manisa Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2015
    hi sir. how much did it cost to replace it with a manuel? and where did you have it done?

6. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Got it replaced at a local place Rivers Truck Center in Red Lion Pa. Total cost was $14000.I changed it to a RTLO 16913A you'll need the transmission,Clutch linkage,bellhousing,new clutch and clutch brake,my driveshaft was shortened,new center bearing,new flywheel and some other odds and ends.To put it in to perspective to replace the Freedomline they quoted me over $22k.The transmission itself was $15k.

The Freedomline is hard to find people who know how to work on them.Parts are expensive and sometimes hard to get which means waiting.In the 1.5 years I had the auto I put about 6k into parts and labor and woke up most mornings hoping it worked because it has to run a self check on start up.Any issues with ABS or air pressure or one of the many sensors or wiring and the thing will not go into gear so you'll need a tow.

I now have a manual that I can get worked on just about anywhere.I can get a rebuilt unit pretty fast for about $3.5k and i have a little piece of mind. I would not recommend the Freedomline to anyone.

manisa Thanks this.
  7. manisa

manisa Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2015
    Thank you. That was really helpful. Maybe saved my life lol.

8. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Good advice, we had 8 of them in KW's when they worked they were much better than even the Ultrashift, gear spacing, skip shifting, load sensing, all much better, however at 800,000 you are due for a clutch anyway, probably about 5,000.00.

The even bigger issue is, they just aren't that many people around that are REALLY qualified to work on them.

9. manisa

manisa Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2015
    the i only thing i like about this truck is the price. the guy is giving it away for $8500 since noone wants to buy this transmission. it is a great truck but the tranny sucks.

10. Burdisco

Burdisco Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Hello USA - Freedomline Zf transmission. Gs3 controller rebuild from the factory $3000 Cdn. Comes complete. Air regulator $345 cdn. Buy a gs3 you get that as well as all the gaskets. Rebuild Zf transmission from the factory $8000 Cdn. Don't know what the cost of voltage convertor is yet, haven't asked. Clutch complete $2000 Cdn. My 2000 Hino Sg with a 6 speed cost more.
    I have noticed if it ante American it can't be any good.
    Zf used in thousands of vehicles. I like my 2005 volvo with its freedomline, just working through the issues.
    Oh you might want to check out "The Gear Centre" they are the zf dealer in Canada. They have a web site.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.