2005 FL columbia D60 Auto/manual transmission

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by chimbotano, Oct 10, 2013.

1. chimbotano

chimbotano Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Thank you Pablo for you response.
    In the mornings when I start the truck a SM code appears and the AUTO shift doesn't switch gears. I place it in MANUAL and it works just fine, however the SM code still there for about 20-30 miles then it disappears and the AUTO began working just fine.
    The technician from "Smith power products" stated that he used his Generic scanner to read the codes and found out that the TCU needs to be replace. He, the technician, also he was not sure why needs to be replace, so I'm out $ 250 for his "I'm not sure" answer.
    My question is, since the manual drives fine and after 30 minutes of driving the automatic also drives fine, if I continue driving it the way it is......this issue will cause major problems for me in the future? what should be the best route to take for this problem. Here in Utah there is not Meritor distribution therefore there is not one that I know of who could help me with this issue.
    Pablo, Thank you again for taking the time to respond

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    You don't hear any air loss from the TCU/XY shifters?

4. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    do not change TCU now

tranny swithces to manual mode if no speed info on J1939 (for example any ABS problems)

there is no XY shifter like on Eaton. There are air cylinders that move rails, there are splitter and range cylinders there... really tranny is totally different you got use to see.

TCU board is the same like on early I-shift. But shifting mechanics are totally different

5. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    Pablo, how often the trany oil should be changed?

6. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    No. I don't hear air loss.

7. chimbotano

Apr 21, 2013
    Pablo, how often the trany oil should be changed?

8. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    as in any manual tranny. Gears inside are like 16 st ore 12 st manual, but box casting differs

9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I have been told that when you hear a airloss from where the TCU is ,you only have a few days left untill the gearbox stops working.
    It is because there is a O-ring gone on one off the "airpiston" that does the actual shifting.

Pablo,what is you feeling about replacing those O-rings before they break?

10. jerry123

jerry123 Light Load Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Holland, Tx.
    Use Manuel shift mode while crossing rail road tracks under a Haz-Mat load.

Auto shifts- are influenced by the air system. Drain your air tanks each day or install an auto air drain. All air compressors produce oil, even with air dryers, (replace air dryer cartridge) however, oil can still mist thru the air system. Check the transmission's air filter regulator, inside is a thimble size metal filter, clean this out. Before, the range valve O rings and some other O rings & seals become contaminated by misting oil (long term misting...small droplets add up over time).

Transmission sensors can decrease in function that affects other systems. i.e. input speed shaft sensor can go out, and your truck will have trouble starting. sample: you turn your key on, and, no start, turn the key off again and key on & truck starts up. (doesn't start). Sensors are cheap, $25.00. the diagnosing-im sure you'll discover this area.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  11. great2c4me

great2c4me Bobtail Member

May 18, 2015
    Anybody ever swap these automatic transmissions out? I've got the same one in an 04.
    How's it going with that chimbotano? I'm already wanting to swap it out

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.