2005 RV Delivery season.

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by lastone in, Jun 17, 2015.

1. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

Probably more like $900-1000 a month.

But regardless, you need to get that truck paid off. Then run it till the wheels fall, then put em back on run again.

LGarrison and Lite bug Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    That 7.3 should be good for a few more miles. I run my 7.3 for almost 600,000 miles. If you put 100,000 miles and did not generate enough revenue then find ways to do so. I do not know about the RV industry but maybe look elsewhere.

4. Timatreedg

Timatreedg Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    I really would like to have my own dot numbers so on and so forth so I can make more, and have something that is my own I have always wanted my own business for a long time. As far as the rv industry when u only get paid 1.22 one way then don't get paid on the way back it's kinda like u do the math haha. I mean it's not much more than a company drive that just shows up and drives. I have to buy fuel oil changes tires ect. you get the idea again just my .02

5. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    When I started I leased onto a guy just to see if I liked doing this. I would see these guys with a gooseneck trailer going down the road and thought I want to do that. A trailer does not cost a lot. Getting your own numbers is like $300. If I were in your shoes and could line up some contacts ( direct freight ) I think running would be ok. A lot has changed in the last few years. The economy is not what it used to be. There is a lot less freight on the load board so when I get out, it is a lot harder to work my way back home. And if I had truck payment I would like the sure thing of outbound freight.

6. lastone in

lastone in Light Load Member

Apr 5, 2014
    Plano, TX.
    I have been watching this thread for a while. It seams to have taken a hard left from statements about the 2015 RV transport season to what “so and so” should do to make additional money. The end of the day solution is RV delivery is, for the majority, a seasonal opportunity to see the country. You will need an additional income source for the 6-8 months you are not delivering.
    I’m sure someone will pipe in and say how well they are doing delivering all year, but THAT IS THE EXCEPTION. The majority of the RV delivery drivers are sitting the late summer and fall at home. I stopped delivering in June this year - went back for 3 weeks in July to move some class A product to Florida, and spent the last 2 weeks moving “Elkhart” open house product. Back home now I will decide in March if I want to go back.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  7. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2016
    Hamilton, Ks
    Ok not to stir the fire or anything, I am looking to get into pulling RV's. I have a 05 Duramax with 122k on it, just got it a few months back. My wife does home daycare and pretty much has 90% of the bills covered just need a few extra bucks to finish regular monthly bills and work on some of the debt collectors (2 recent dr visits) lol. Anyways everyone is complaining of $2500 after fuel.....MAN I would kill for that right now after taxes and insurance is taken out Im bringing home $1100 a MONTH. Im not looking to get rich quick (sure the hell wont turn it down) but really if thats the complaints that there is then count me in!

8. Timatreedg

Sep 20, 2015
    You can make that kinda of money even more it's all about how hard you want to run.. As it stand we have been busy since October and it don't seem like it's going to slow down anytime soon, if you are interested in doing it getting in to it now would be good mainly just have to watch out for weather this time of year

LGarrison Thanks this.
  9. Brandon S.

Jan 6, 2016
    Hamilton, Ks
    See thats another thing after reading and talking to some of the guys that are doing where people who fail and complain about it, they are the ones hotels every night, eating out all 3 meals and 2 snacks of the day and they are sight seeing.....To me you get your ##% in the seat drive that thing to the destination as quick and safely as possible sleep in your truck, eat stuff outta a ice chest, then sight see on your way back if your bobtailing it.....do 2 or 3 loads a week and shouldnt be any problem. Everyone working now has said its rare for you to set and wait on a load over the past couple years. and also said it dont look to be slowing down...

LGarrison Thanks this.
  10. Timatreedg

Sep 20, 2015
    Very true, it's all in how you spend the money you do make. Just be prepared if you going to run hard you will be working on your truck quite alot sometimes it's just oil changes and fuel filters other times its the rear differential or shocks or water pump. I have wore out alot stuff in the little over a years time in doing this.

11. Brandon S.

Jan 6, 2016
    Hamilton, Ks
    Yes, the plan to help with that because I know a lot get burnt in the beginning is only send home what I have to to cover the bills that is everyday at the house and save the rest so, IF and WHEN I have to fix a water pump, trans, or even motor there is that in there and I wont be stuck. Once a good reserve is put aside then can start taking out a regular pay check after expenses are taken out. I found a nifty little calculator online that you can input mileage, pay rate, fuel mileage, insurance, truck payment, maintenance surcharge, and pull out fees and divides it up and shows what a take home for the driver and a take home for the truck would be.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.