2006 780 w/ ultrashift growling when taking off from a stop

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by CruisingAlong, Sep 28, 2015.

1. CruisingAlong

CruisingAlong Medium Load Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    When I take off from a stop with my 2006 780 volvo with ultra shift, it makes a growling noise like the release bearing shaft needs to be greased.
    It doesn't do it cold and only does it occasionally when hot.

I pulled off 2 inspection plates under transmission looking for grease fittings, tried google to no avail. I've looked all over for grease fittings only to find none. Mine looks to be electronically shifted

What does this sound like and can I grease the release bearing and crossshaft?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    ultrashift does not have a realease bearing on the clutch, your noise could be possibly coming from your leveling valve make sure you have the right ride height it will make this kind of noise when the valve it's not working properly and your driveline goes away from the working angle.

CruisingAlong Thanks this.
  4. gonzo01

gonzo01 Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2010
    denver, co
    Ultra Shift transmissions have a centrifical clutch. They are known to "Growl" at take off. Growl or rattle... Eaton fuller has a bullitin reguarding this noise and it is availible at their web site.

KB3MMX and CruisingAlong Thank this.
  5. FreightlinerFlatbed

FreightlinerFlatbed Bobtail Member

May 13, 2012
    LAS VEGAS
    Had the same noise . . . when Tech pulled the clutch, I had 2 broken fingers on the pressure plate / clutch assembly.

6. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    @nasriza

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/clib0028.pdf

I poured through the eaton fuller site and found this one, but do not think it is the bulletin you are referring to?

1 year later and 100,000 miles and still have the growl/rattle noise. Thenoise isn't a barely there kinda thing, it is loud when taking off from a stop heavily loaded. It does it empty, but is much less pronounced.

It is worse when taking off from a dead stop and heavily loaded. I have replaced the leveling valve and top of drive tires are level with chassis.

It makes the noise even before the truck is moving. If it had manual clutch, it would be making the noise as I'm letting out on the pedal, but as soon as foot off the clutch, no more noise.

For example....
    From a stop, when I rev engine to engage clutch, it will rattle / growl before truck starts moving and continues until the clutch is fully engaged. ( less noticeable when I start out in Low 1, but still there) As soon as the truck is moving and clutch is fully engaged, no more noise at all until I take off from a stop again.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Very possible u have a clutch issue how is the Trans going in gear did anyone remove the bottom service cover to see if anything comes out and how the oil level and quality

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Would an Ultrashift still have a pilot bearing in the flywheel?

9. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    I removed inspection cover and all appeared ok. I did not rotate engine with the cover off though.
    Transmission was full, but as part of regular maintenance, i changed trans and both diffs with synthetic fluid. The transmission shifts like butter. Aside from the loud growling taking off from a stop, there are no other symptoms.

I don't want to spend money unnecessarily, biggest concern is that it would just quit pulling and need a tow. Clutch never slips even wide open climbing hills at 80k so no signs of that.

10. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Check inside the bellhousing with your hands if you find any small spring material from the clutch or any pieces of metal usually a good sign that the clutch is gone did you at any point get a clutch code either way to really find out what's going of if you cant find any metal in the bellhousing the clutch would have to come off and by this point might as well replace it. check for metal pieces first and let me know.

11. CruisingAlong

Oct 17, 2014
    Tampa , FL
    Sounds like I'm on borrowed time so I'm going to go ahead and replace it,

What should clutch replacent cost? I can grab a load and drive it most anywhere to replace,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.