2006 Columbia Fuel Delivery Problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by cdiy, Jul 27, 2016.

1. cdiy

cdiy Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    My 06' Columbia w/12.7 Detroit 60 Series has driven fine until last week, when, I filled up the tanks, it started to putt a few miles later, then, broke down. There I sat for two hours getting no fuel whatsoever. So, I had it towed, had an employee ride with the driver, and when I returned a few hours later, it started right up and has since, although I have not driven it.

Today, I had a driver swap trucks with me, bringing the Columbia to the gas station a few miles from my lot, and once again, it broke down...getting no fuel. Clever, Uber back to my lot to drive a different truck while working, then decide to see if it would start a few hours later. Yep...sure did...it started and I drove it back to my lot.

This truck just got a PM weeks ago and is full of fuel. The issue is not fuel in the lines, because after resting it starts right up after refusing when I dump fuel in the filter, etc. Is this the sign of a faulty fuel pump, or something else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    So you have to put fuel in the filter to get it started?

Sounds like it's sucking air, if that's the case.

4. cdiy

cdiy Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Yeah...done all that. I don't think it's sucking air at all. It either works immediately, or doesn't work at all. Seems like the pump either works, or doesn't. Or, could it possibly be EGR as well?

5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Different vehicle, but same symptoms. I had a 1991 Ford F-150 do the same thing. Turned out to be the in-line fuel filter on the frame.
    So I would replace the fuel filter(s). It sounds like a fuel restriction somewhere, as it starts fine, runs for a bit until it uses up any fuel past the restriction, then dies. After some time enough fuel has slowly gotten sucked past the restriction that you can go again.

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Oh, also. Next time it happens try to notice if all the gauges go out at the same time. Maybe master engine relay, 70 amps, less than ten bucks.

7. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I had a tin foil cap from a fuel additive can floating around in a tank and it would suck up against the fuel pick up shuting the fuel off and the truck would quit.
    It would sit there a while and the foil would drop down in the tank and then the truck would go again.
    This would play out over and over till I found it......

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is o rings inside that fuel pump I bet those things fail then suck air then no fuel make you feel like you are driving a 12 horse briggs engine at 8 mph...

That is the first thing I look at Ive lost fuel pumps before... for reasons totally crazy believe it or not. Usually I abused the pump to the max drying it out at 116 for a few months on that particular truck until it started sucking air and quit entirely.

That was also when they put a computer on it and discovered a history with speeds up to 132. That was when the shouting began....

9. philv

philv Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Surprise, AZ
    Sounds like an electrical issue to me. If it's a mechanical issue, it'll do it either all the time or under certain conditions. Check your relay and wiring, sounds like the relay gets hot and shuts down, the after a few hrs it's cooled off and works.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.