2007 9400 brake light switch adjustment??

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by lciambotti1, Jul 29, 2015.

1. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I have a 2007 9400i and the brake lights work but I have to press hard to the brake pedal. That's fine for a DOT inspection, but not so much when you are stopping or slowing down.

double yellow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    I had a similiar situation with a 9400. Replaced switch and worked fine. Partsman said some switches require more pressure than others to activate. I went with lower pressure one, solved problem.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Is the problem with just lights, or do you have to press hard to get the actual brakes to come one too? Other than that, the brake switch is just an air pressure switch that is probably rusty inside or has dirty electrically connections. Just replace it. Those are on the firewall on the inside behind the dash panels.

5. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Went to the NAVISTAR dealer. Picked up a new switch. Of course its the wrong one!! I'll pull my old one out when I get back and try again. And to answer Heavyd, the brakes are working fine, its just the lights.

6. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Are there 2 brake switches? I have to press hard to get the tail lights to illuminate, but a feather on the brake pedal turns cruise control off.

The brakes themselves operate normally.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, there are two. Once for the actual lights and the other is a signal input to the engine to cancel cruise.

8. yaniellm

yaniellm Bobtail Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I have one yelow one white and one red, witch one is the one that send signal to the ecm

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It will be the one with violet coloured wires and wire number 97-AL and 97-GF. Can't remember the colour banding of the switch.

10. stoan

stoan Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2014
    I have a 96 9200 with a Detroit. Everything works except cruise control. Engine idles up with cc switch like it should and high idle cuts off when I release the brakes, but no cruise going down the road. The little electronic screen even says cruise set when I hit the switch but nothing happens.

I found two pressure switches with violet wires, one behind the dash, one on the firewall. Truck comes off high idle when I unplug the one behind the dash but cruise still doesn't work. I'm guessing the one on the firewall is to cut it out when the foot brake is applied?

Also, I never could clear the trip info on the little computer screen unless the brakes were locked, now I can clear it going down the road. There must be something that thinks the brakes are locked, and at the same time, something that thinks they are unlocked.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....thanks

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Detroits need to see park brake released, service brake not applied and clutch switch in the released position. So probably either the service brake switch or the clutch switch is not happy.

stoan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.