2008 D13 Shutdown after about 60 seconds of run time.

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by cainekh, Jul 19, 2015.

1. cainekh

cainekh Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Hi
    I have had soot level problems via a bad sensor. The STOP light on the dash came on. But I was able to drive for several hundred miles (derated) after I realized it was a bad sensor. I replaced the sensor and truck did fine for a day. Then the high soot STOP sign came on again and this time the engine shut down. I checked the sensor (DPF Delta P) and one of the clamps I put on wasn't tightened down and was leaking pressure. I tightened it down and restarted the engine and now it still shows high soot and then the engine proceeds to shutdown. Has anyone ever heard of the engine shutting down for soot levels? I thought it only derated the engine. I'm wondering if its shutting down for other reason though no new codes have come up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Yes the engine does shut down for soot lever it is possible maybe someone can try to do a computer regen if possible to get you going

cainekh Thanks this.
  4. cainekh

cainekh Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Ok good I have order VCADS with PTT. Will I be able to do a forced regen or at least reset the soot level? Also does the EGR delta p sense soot levels? Could that thing be clogged telling the engine to shutdown? I thought it was just for sensing the mixture of exhaust and clean air?

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    the delta p sensor for the egr has nothing to do with sensing soot level, but if it's bad then it could cause high levels of soot from the engine via egr being open. so it will cause high soot level but it can not sense high soot level if that makes any sense. just like you have the egr delta p there is another sensor mounted on the dpf assy on top with two lines this is the dpf delta p and this is what reads what you're soot level is i would highly suggest removing the filters and taking them in to get cleaned if never done so before this is supposed to be done every 250000 or 4300 hours which ever comes first depends on the what type of driving and idle time this vehicle has

cainekh Thanks this.
  6. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    I can't fully remember but I think when my Delta P sensor was replaced with had to be calibrated by Detroit.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.