2008 T660 Trailer brake lights don't work

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Hype6477, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Hype6477

Hype6477 Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Hello Everyone,

So I am having an issue with my T660 the brake lights don't work on the trailer, everything else works fine (hazards, turn signals, parking lights) used my test light on the connector behind the cab (bypassing the pigtail) nothing. I bought new fuses and relays for the ones located behind the clutch still doesn't work.

What am I missing ? I read there was another fuse panel to the left of the clutch nothing there but my ABS test switch. I read there was a fuse and relay in line behind/ near the washer bottle can't find it. I read there was a line coming straight from the alternator nope nothing there.

Also only thing I didn't replace to my knowledge is the brake switch but since my tractor has brake lights I figured it is work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rex012

Rex012 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    It might be the pig tail. You by passed the pig tail ao you didn't check it? We had a truck do that and pug tail was replaced and it worked. Sometimes the water gets in there

4. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    You honestly don't have that kick panel under your dash next to the ABS diag switch?

Attached Files:

5. Hype6477

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    sorry I have that one, i replaced both fuses and the relay still no power. I found a thread similar to the one I posted that, said there was additional fuses behind the abs switch nothing there. In the same thread someone said to check the wires on the alternator did that, someone also said check the fuse on the firewall near the washer bottle I do not have that one.

Yea I check the pigtail is fine its sealed really nice actually. I went to the fuse box an ran a test light and there is no power going thru it when the brakes are applied so, I need to find out where the power to the trailer brakes is coming from and trace it.

6. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    There's a relay for the trailer brake lights. When you hit brakes, a 12v low amp signal travels down to a fuse, from that fuse it goes to the relay and closes it allowing a 12v high amp current to travel back to the trailer.

The silver things behind the kick panel aren't fuses or relays, they're circuit breakers. The fastest way to test one is to swap it with a known good one.

7. Hype6477

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    Thank you for the detailed post, so I swapped the breaker for my windshield one all speeds work.

replaced all three trailer stop fuses. Left turn / Stop Right turn / Stop and the trailer stop. Still no power.

At this point I need to find out where the relay gets powered from. Right ?

8. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Power flow starts at the brake light switch, and goes to "Trlr Stop" fuse (mine is a circuit breaker) then it travels to the "Trailer Stop LP Relay"

Give me a sec and I'll tell you how to bypass the relay and fuse with a short piece of wire to tell if the issue is related to your fuse panel or somewhere else.

Hype6477 Thanks this.
  9. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Ok, hopefully your fuse panel is similar to mines. Pull the trailer stop relay and do what I did with the white piece of wire.

You're going to bypass the fuse and relay and close the high amp 12vdc circuit manually which is supposed to turn on just your trailer stop lamps.

If they come on, then your issue can be narrowed down to your relay, fuse and anything before it. If they don't come on, then your issue is after your fuse, and relay, and will be in that rats nest of a wire harness after the fuse panel all the way back to the tail lights of the trailer.

You can isolate the trailer by putting a ground on the pig tail (top white pin) and applying 12vdc directly to the red cable (I want to say it's the bottom pin). That will eliminate the trailer and pigtail as being the possible cause.

Then you'll only have to check the harness coming out of the fuse panel that runs behind your washer fluid container.

But start by jumping that relay.

Attached Files:

Hype6477 Thanks this.
  10. Hype6477

Jun 19, 2015
    Socal
    I hate being slow after I typed my reply I was like hey jump the relay stupid so I did that no lights. What I did was I ran a wire from one of the spare battery slots to post 30 on the relay. I now have trailer brake lights.

Any idea as to why the relay isn't getting power ?

Attached Files:

11. mitchtazz

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    That would indicate that you do not have a high amp 12vdc coming in which means something is disconnected behind your fuse panel.

Use a light tester or volt meter to probe the relay points just to double check.

87a is a ground so it won't show any current.
    30 goes to the brake lamps so it won't show any current.
    87 should show 12vdc
    And 85 or 86 will only show current when you hit the brakes.

I'm pretty sure based off of what you're telling me, your 87 will be dead, which is sorta a good thing cause now you know what the issue is.

If your 87 is actually dead, then as a temporary fix, you could run a jumper wire from a spare 30amp fuse (not a circuit braker) down to your 87 (just as you did the 30) and everything should work normally and the circuit would still be protected from a short. It'll buy you sometime until you can get the washer fluid container off and start digging around in the back of the fuse panel.

Hype6477 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.