2009 western Star brake lights sometimes stay on.

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by RandyLAROSE, May 15, 2015.

1. RandyLAROSE

RandyLAROSE Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    I've replaced the 3 air over electric switches also a new foot valve and the brake lights still hang on for a bit. Sometimes if you wait and tap the foot brake they will go out or grab the spike and they will go out. Doesn't Happen every time but 95% of the time they stay on till you tap the brakes. What else could be going on. There doesn't seem to be anything else happening just the brake lights.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skman

skman Light Load Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Saskatchewan
    I can't speak on your problem in particular but I've got a 2007 and I've driven a few others and I have to say the wiring in the Western Stars is enough to drive a person crazy.
    Recently I was having issues with my signal would work sometimes...sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes the signal light would light up when the brakes were used. But the problem were very intermittent. Usually, just first thing in the morning for some reason.
    Finally got got a chance to take the lights out and my wiring was splitting/breaking. So I had to change some of it completely and new pigtails. Problem solved for now.
    I've seen so many wiring issues in these trucks...but other than that I can't complain too much.
    Not saying that's your problem, but it's a place to look maybe.

RandyLAROSE Thanks this.
  4. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    You have a few relays for the brake lights in the passenger side dash relay panel. you should pull the two relays when they are on and see if they go right out.

RandyLAROSE Thanks this.
  5. btemefordboy

btemefordboy Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hiawatha Ks
    May have a bad Ground

RandyLAROSE Thanks this.
  6. RandyLAROSE

RandyLAROSE Bobtail Member

May 15, 2015
    You were right it was one of the relays thank you so much for the suggestion

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.