2010 prostar maxxforce 13 no power/speed

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by grandpa joe 71, Jul 9, 2016.

1. grandpa joe 71

grandpa joe 71 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    I purchased the truck a year ago haven't had any problems till about a month ago on a load and engine derates itself so I pull in engine idles fine just no power so I open hood while running and noticed fuel bowl little fuller than normal shut truck off change filter start truck up and low coolant light comes on I tow it to my local dealer 2 weeks to get to it and figure out bad wire for low coolant sensor ,and and egr was reading wrong so they replaced that and serviced truck 2 weeks later they call me and tell me head is leaking oil at head gasket I tell them I need to work just put truck back together so I can run 9200.00 for headgasket I don't have they then call me tell me engine lacks power I tell them that's supposed to be fixed well in way now theyre telling me to get head redone cause of carbon buildup valve is stuck but truck seem to run fine just cant get over 60 and getting there is slow anyone have any ideas im not taking it to that dealer ever again I am currently renting a teruck but I want my truck back

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Strange ways

Strange ways Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Sounds alot like what mine is doing. Had ERG replaced a month ago. Now I'm losing power on and off. Feels like it needs a regen but the dpf light won't come on. Would love to hear an answer

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    The answer as I heard is to get another truck and get rid of Maxxforce

Texnmidwest and loose_leafs Thank this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Maxxforce headgaskets are a "dry type" which means no coolant or pressurized oil goes through the head gasket. It basically only seals combustion gases. The oil is feed to the head through the side of the oil cooler module. Oil returns to the pan by gravity. You should never need a head gasket because of an oil leak. I think something else is wrong, if it is even leaking that bad. A number of things can cause low power. The exhaust back pressure valve can be stuck closed so hardly no exhaust gas can exit the engine, or the turbo waste gate actuator can be stuck open so all the boost pressure is dumped out the exhaust. These are common and the actuator rods/linkage seize up. Any fuel pressure issues will cause a warning light. EGR valve stuck open will cause warning light and the engine will buck and kick.

z32sean and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  6. grandpa joe 71

Oct 31, 2015
    How would I check waste gate , as of right now no lights on dash the dealer also replace the boost sensor

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It is mounted on the upper turbo and sorta points down a bit. The rod is retracted at key off and extended with the key on. The actuator is controlled by the ECM by the truck's air system, so make sure your air tanks are fully charged. The actuator rod moves only about 12mm or so. You can mark it with a pen or something and see if moves, or use a second person to watch it as you key on/off.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  8. grandpa joe 71

Oct 31, 2015
    Thanks I'll check that in the morning

9. grandpa joe 71

Oct 31, 2015
    Sorry it took so long to post results today I checked like you said with key and nothing moves either on or off but when I remove hose it retracts and put Back on it extends about 12 mm this is with key off

10. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    Crapforce has been sued over that pos engine

Team818 Thanks this.
  11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I think the air control valve is no good. Sounds like the solenoid is stuck open internally. If you leave that little hose off and pinch it so air doesn't leak, and road test it, if your power is back then I would say you need a new air control valve.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.