2010 Volvo D13 injector shake

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by JR65, Oct 9, 2015.

1. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    I own the truck for a year now, and while pulling the tank fighting to fix it up. Already invested a lot in ASR system besides normal maintenance, wear and tear.
    She has i"njector shakes", but with a twist: when's she's burning soot, everything is completely fine! She pulls 38 metric tones without hesitation, and sounds wonderful. Also, never had any problems with starting up.
    Has anyone ever had similar problem? It does not look like it's injectior(s) problem to me - it would be present all the time, right?
    All answers would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Post this in the garage section too.

d o g Thanks this.
  4. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Thanks, 77. As I am a newbie, every lead is welcomed.

5. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Thanks to whoever moved it over to Garage!

6. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    20151009_154551.jpg
    My truck, my problem: delivery time

7. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    You may have a fissure crack in one of the injector cups. Bad and leaking o-rings also cause this problem as well. There were plenty of injector issues throughout 2008-2012 for each manufacturer. Volvo changed over to stainless steel cups and kept modifying them until they think they finally have the problem fixed. A sticky egr also causes the same symptoms along with the soot issue. When the egr is sticking closed the truck will run like a banshee and puff out soot, when it is open it puts to much gas back into the system and causes the shakes and causes the truck to derate and can hardly pull itself. I realize that you are using the DEF and DPF system but they still have an EGR valve as well. That is what is sounds like to me, I had the same issues with a couple of my 05's and it was always one of the three problems (usually the EGR's). Don't have that problem anymore LOL.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Guess that explains why most Volvos I see smoke like a school boy behind the gym at recess.

9. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Well, mine does not smoke. Stacks do not have any residue, and I can take photos so it can be seen: ends are actually clean.
    Enjoying long weekend right now, and thank you for all responses. Anyone else?

10. powerhousescott

powerhousescott Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Pecuiar, MO
    Check your cups. The smoking I was talking about would be your EGR's. Are you loosing any coolant (just a tad to start)?

11. JR65

JR65 Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2015
    I had coolant leak which was fixed recently. Since then, all is good with the coolant.
    When she shakes, fuel consumption is poor (4.6 g/m), but when she starts with the burn cycle, I get around 6.5 g/m - and no shakes, no misfire. Just beautiful - as it is supposed to be.
    Two dealerships are firm in belief it's injectors; they were wrong before. And since that is the biggest posible bill just to start with, and she behives when burning, I am hesitant to jump on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.