2011 Workstar with DT MAXX A/C Turning off

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Smellfunny, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    The A/C will not come on unless you pull out fuse F1-B HVAC Control and re-insert. It will run for a few minutes then turn off. Pull out the fuse and re-insert and it fires up again. The only thing I see that is out of ordinary is the breaker for the blower fan is hot but not tripping. I did pull the freon out and it was a 1 LB over so I charged it to proper level. The engine fan is running all the time and the high side pressure never gets above 160. It is nice and cool when it is running.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    There is a post on here about by-passing thermisters in order to test them? Sounds like a heavyd thing, good luck.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    2010 and up no longer use the thermistors. They have a freeze probe, but so far they are pretty good and not inside the ac line like the thermistors were. Generally, anytime you are able to get the a/c to work like that, then cycle and work again, it is usually one of two things. First, it could be a failed pressure transducer or related wiring. The second thing is a jammed mode or blend door actuator which the HVAC module will sense and tell the body controller. AC is near impossible to properly diagnose with these without diamond logic builder software, (DLB). Without it you are flying bling. Check for any corrosion or spread pins in the pressure sensor connector. If you have no access to DLB you could try a new pressure sensor. You would be able to see the blend and mode actuators on the heater box in front of the passenger seat. You have to break your neck and stand on your head, or use 6 mirrors to see them, but if you can, watch them as you turn the dials and see if they are moving or not.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    This is another farm truck (seems like that is all I am working on lately) and it looks like a dust bowl inside the cab. It may be a stuck blend door or actuator.
    Every time I hear the roar of those farm truck tires I fear for what is rolling in the yard. I have three spreaders there now.. a Terra Gator there with an injector issue (John Deere Motor), a International WorkStar with A/C issues, another International with transfer case or front axle issues.. I am ready for some simple brake jobs or heck I will even take a wheel seal job. : )

By the way.. Thanks Heavy

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    LOL, I know exactly how you feel. After about my 4th or 5th Maxxforce job in a row I am practically begging for an oil change!

7. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Finally got it in here. Code SPN 520465 FMI 2 HVAC Control Head multiple motor faults DM1. HVAC motor in wrong position or jammed.

I cleared the code and reset the system then code 3981 FMI 2 came up with same description.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Mode control actuator.

Smellfunny Thanks this.
  9. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks Heavy

10. Smellfunny

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    Were you talking about the triangle shaped actuator on the outside of cab? If so when I took the screws out of that one to pull off the mechanism that rotates the door it was no longer part of the actuator. When I reached in and removed it the door was broken off inside what was left. I installed the new actuator (hoping the A/C would stay on) but it will not. Now I also have full time heat. If this was the actuator I guess my next step is to disassemble the box and install a new door. Then see what happens. There is no filter and this thing is SUPER Dusty everywhere.

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Mode will be inside, I think all of them are. Not sure which one you are talking about outside.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.