2012 Cascadia with 280K Multiple fault codes Please Advise

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by 1fixitman, Aug 27, 2016.

1. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I just purchased a 2012 Freightliner Cascadia with DD13 engine with 280,000 miles from Schneider National in Atlanta about two weeks ago. I got a fault code on the drive from Atlanta, GA to Chesapeake, VA. That fault code was
    EEC 061 SPN 003361 DEF DOSING UNIT 07
    Along with this fault code was a CEL (Check Engine Light)...yellow engine light with "check" written in it AND
    a engine light without check written in it (Maintenance Indicator Light maybe or MIL or just engine light)
    The DEF level indicated 1/2 full or two green pips on AND there was a yellow blinking light above the DEF level indicator. Tiny round yellow blinking light.
    I filled the DEF tank with 11 more gallons completely full as I thought with the truck sitting for a while that the DEF tank level indicator might have an issue and continued another 400 miles home. I stopped two times and shut off the engine on the rest of the way home so two more key cycles. When I got to the yard I cycled the key one more time(for a total of 3 key cycles) and all faults were cleared out. I thought I might have an issue with the DEF pump filter (liquid cartridge filter 39$ at dealer) so I purchased the filter and replaced it. A week later I had my tag, IFTA and placards and I took my maiden voyage on a 1450 mile round trip from Chesapeake, VA to Elizabethtown, KY on August 25th. Truck and trailer combination was near 52,000 pounds loaded on the way to KY. On this trip I was NOT EVER derated in speed. The truck is limited to 1550 RPM at about 72 MPH I believe from the dealer and therefore at snider and now for me. I added 4 more gallons of bulk DEF at a PETROL truck stop in Glendale, KY on the morning of August 26th, the day of delivery and I filled up on Diesel. twin 70 gallon tanks suck but it is a nice truck.
    I had as many as 6 ACTIVE FAULT CODES while on this trip. Multiple key cycles and varying codes but I will list all.
    EEC 061 SPN 994364
    NOX CONV EFF 18

EEC 061 SPN 003364
    DEF QUALITY 02

EEC 061 SPN 003361
    DEF DOSING UNIT 07

EEC 061 SPN 005246
    15 AND 16

ENG 2 001 SPN 002631
    I would like to have intelligent conversation on this issue so everyone can see the progress and I will update with what was done. Please do not hijack this thread and please just read thru if you can not help with these codes. I appreciate all help and I want to document the process here for my fellow drivers to be able to use. That is why I ask that you keep the nonsense comments to zero. Thank you. I do still have over 200 days left on the original Engine Warranty which I believe also covers the after treatment system. The drivetrain warranty is good for a lot longer. Please Advise and Thank you for taking the time out of your day to help me with this process.
    D Rock

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Dont know the codes, but would advise you to get to know the emissions system along with sensors related to the emissions. Learning this will save you big bucks and you can diagnose some of this stuff to keep you out of the shop. See if you can p/u a factory manual.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    The other yellow light, MIL , indicates an emission fault.
    How many miles on it? The Nox conversion efficiently could be related to the Doser valve at best, at worse it's an early indication that the DOC is wearing out. Only way to fix that is to replace the entire One-Box. Not cheap.

Mhowell Thanks this.
  5. Rex012

Rex012 Light Load Member

Apr 12, 2014
    The doc on an isx is 4100 installed should be in that ball park I'd say for a dd15

6. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    DD13 Engine 280,000 miles on Odometer.

7. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Please don't take this the wrong way but can you take it back. I would like you to see the big picture here. If you cant get one trip out of this truck without all these codes what do you think the future holds. I absolutely promise you it won't be pretty. these trucks have been bankrupting O/O for years. If there is any chance thy would take it back I would do it.

fargonaz Thanks this.
  8. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    At 280,000 you are on the verge of needing a DPF filter clean or change, I have 8 of these about the best we can do is 300,000 before change. Does this truck have a lot of idle time in it's history?

As far as other codes, check and clean ALL of your bat. connections and get your batteries load tested, two biggest issue we have had with these trucks, emissions, and poor batt, voltage.

Drifter42 Thanks this.
  9. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I agree with you. That truck has most likely idled all the time due to no APU on the truck. Not good for emissions trucks to idle all the time from what i understand.

10. 1fixitman

Aug 16, 2016
    Since the motor and aftertreatment system is still under warranty I wonder if Freightliner would replace/clean the filter unit under that warranty?

11. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I dont think so. Cleaning 'bakeing' the dpf is part of the maint. To be done every 250,000 miles. Costs around $1,500.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.