2012 volvo 780

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by chunker, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on your purchase! I hope you like it as much as I do. I am coming up on my 1 year since purchase and I still love to drive it every day. Did you get a refrigerator with freezer in it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scania man

Scania man Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Is the US I shift the same as the euro one? Does it have 2 pedals and based on a synchro box? I heard US version was based on a crash box but that would make the automated change slow and clunky and also would need a clutch pedal, the I shift is a very good gearbox, very smooth and clever!

Congrats chunker on your purchase, I bought 2 new Volvo fh12 coe's in 2003, ran them up to 1m each, never had an issue, just normal service parts and bulbs and that's it! Good on fuel too!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    The I shift is the fastest shifting box I have seen.
    Better than the Geartronic or the Astronic.
    I think they are used in the Mack as well.

5. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    Yup it's an excellent system, it's been around a long time too so the technology is well proven and very reliable

6. Scania man

Jul 1, 2011
    Saskatchewan
    I was checking out those volvo 780, a 500 hp Volvo engine with ishift for me please, that's one hell of a cab!

7. N UR DREAMS

N UR DREAMS Bobtail Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Willard, Mo
    Height control valve. Also known as a leveling valve.

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  8. sinistar

sinistar Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2011
    vancouver bc
    The day I have to drive a truck that is an auto is the day I dont drive truck anymore.

I don't care how smooth or efficient the I-shift is, that just boring, lame and not real trucking in my books.

9. TexasPhoenix

TexasPhoenix Medium Load Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    You know I said the same thing years ago. Shifting goes with trucking. Let me take a guess in that you are below the age 50. However, some of us just decide that the time has come to make a change. We find that as we age the shifting takes a wear and tear on the body and is not as enjoyable as it once was. So it is not for you, good keep on shifting. But for those of us that time is starting to take it's toll it does give one the ability to drive longer.

gerardo1961 Thanks this.
  10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I get sick and tired of shifting as well. If that's all I've got to complain about then I have very little to do. The two guys I know with autos, one has had the transmission just completely lock up and destroy itself. Only to be rpelaced at a cost of about $8,000 along with new wiring harness, ecms, etc and the transmission still acts up in the same way it did before it destroyed itself. And the other one, while a tad more reliable, does the wierdest quirkiest things at time that has the driver wondering when it will end up costing him thousands. And also the simplest of manuevers like backing into a dock are a tad touchy when trying to do it smoothly with an auto... ...The sorts of things I never even give a thought with a manual. The control I have on icy roads.. Until they can make an auto that is smooth and reliable like in a car, or like how the Europeans seem to have mastered with their trucks, I will suffer through shifting and complain about it from time to time.. One thing I'll never do is sweat and worry about my transmission...

11. Cluck Cluck

Cluck Cluck LTL Wizard

May 6, 2010
    Dunkirk, Indiana
    I'm 22 and i'd take a Volvo ISHIFT anyday, sure beats any other automatic transmission I've ever driven

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.