2012 volvo vibration

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by mladen86, Aug 24, 2014.

1. mladen86

mladen86 Medium Load Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    UPDATE

After replacing injectors truck was ok for some time,but it felt like there is little bit vibration when accelerating.
    Eventualy vibration came back.
    It became more noticeable when weather got colder.
    Even then,on sime trips truck was ok and on some it was shaking like crazy.
    On my way to CA while going uphill,check light came on saying check fuel filter.
    Filter looked ok.
    In the meantime truck developed new problem,it would be cranking for 10-15 seconds before it starts.
    Took it to the shop,they replaced fuel pump. Nothing changed.
    Then check engine light came on,and code was something about boost. Shop replaced boost sensor. Light went off but shaking wasnt fixed.
    Then i called my old mechanic,explained what was going on and took the truck to him.
    He called me last night,i went to pick up the truck,then i got load heading to Memphis.
    Truck is starting ok now and pulls better and vibration is gone for now.
    What he did,he changed fuel filter housing,and he thinks that was the problem from the begining.
    I hope this solved the problem. That vibration and loss of power was driving me crazy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Goatee!, Snailexpress and KB3MMX Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Mine is doing exactly the same thing.
    Which housing helped it, the davco or the one mounted on the motor?

Thanks

4. mladen86

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    One on the left side of the engine.
    Still have the same problem,it takes long time to start but doesn't shakes as bad as before.
    Will go to dealer in few weeks to check cups ans injectors while they're under warranty.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ok, thank you
    Please advise what it takes this time. I have noticed with my D16 that when it's running smoothly, the fuel mileage is noticeably better, sometimes around 1 mpg better!

Seems like these Volvo motors have some real crappy injectors. I have to wonder who makes the injectors for them (delphi?)and if anyone has found a mfg that makes them of a higher quality?

I know with other diesels that you can/will sacrifice injector life and quality when the cheaper remans are used.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    jrotra, mladen86 and Johny41 Thank this.
  6. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada

Yes, sad Volvo can't fix properly this injector issue, the D13 injectors are made by Bosch ; here are 3 of mine failed last year in July ; I posted this photos before; motor was good for me, great on fuel economy, I passed 1.5 millions miles this week, mostly original , no in frame yet, ;I did injectors and cam; ....and still original Eaton 13 manual; I posted here in trucks section;; http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-miles-today-volvo-780-volvo-d13-2008.288978/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KB3MMX and mladen86 Thank this.
  7. mladen86

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    Well,took it to the dealer,ran on dyno,had stumble on 75% load,fuel pressure was 60psi,boost was 30psi. They found cup#5 was leaking.
    They replaced injecors 10 months ago under the warranty,but they said there is no warranty on warranty,so boss had to pay 5500$ for new injectors and cups. Starts and drives fine for now,knock wood.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Dear Lord that's crazy. These injectors must be complete junk manufacture to fall that quick.
    Was the last set OEM or ReMan ?

I've been running injector cleaner through mine, hoping it will keep them alive for a while.
    The pics in the post above looked like the injectors were pretty dirty, wow!

So far the shake is intermittent and sometimes worse than others. Is that how yours started out?

mladen86 Thanks this.
  9. mladen86

Aug 23, 2012
    Chicago,il
    Everything was done at Volvo dealer,so i think they were OEM,not sure tough.
    When they replaced them first time,they said its new updated version of injectors,they're stainless. Now,they put even newer version,not sure what kind are those,but now we have 1 year or 100k miles warranty.
    Shake in my case was intermittent also,it was more noticeable when climbing hills or when accelerating against head wind.
    Even if i was light,i couldn't climb hills like i should do,it felt like truck was operating with 60-70% of power.
    And fuel mileage sucked.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Ok that pretty much describes how mine is acting.
    Guess I'll have to see if my so far - useless to date "premium 2000 plus" warranty will cover replacement.

11. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    fuel economy is better in D13 because the injection pressure is insane 35,000 psi, ; about 20% higher than D12 motor ; but with this comes the injectors isues;

here a video, explaining;

mladen86 and KB3MMX Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.