2014 prostar problems with oil pressure and abs module

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Demonrogue, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Demonrogue

Demonrogue Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Carson California
    I drive a 2014 prostar with Cummins engine and I been having low oil pressure around 21 psi when the engine is fully warm but when the engine is cold i get 40 psi. I have put in 2 gallons of oil thinking I had let the oil get to low which caused the low oil pressure. Even when my truck had it's oil changed and after driving about 6 hours or so the oil psi drops below 40 psi. Then I also started having abs module warning light(tractor only) come on with a upside down triangle which will disappear if I let the tractor rest for a few mins .

I have already taken the truck to the dealership twice already. First dealership said the truck was low on oil but didn't tell me anything about the abs module warning light. Second dealership only spent a few hours working on it but didn't really do anything as the oil pressure is still going low below 40 psi and the abs module warning light still comes on once in a while when i am usually stuck in heavy traffic but this morning it came on then disappear when I let the truck sit to go inside the truck stop for coffee or breakfast.

Any ideas what could be causing these problems as I haven't seen any oil leaks or the truck burning oil and when the engine is warm the oil dipstick shows the oil level near full But showing empty with the engine cold and after adding two gallons of oil.

Should a truck be losing nearly 2 to 4 gallons of oil a week after a oil change?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    Do you know what oil pressure should be on Cummins?

4. no love for a trucker

no love for a trucker Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    I have a prostar it should be just at the pointed tip of the 40 psi marker. What does your oil temperature gauge read when it's warm. The ABS module is located on the inside wall of the cab, near the floor, directly in front of the passenger door. You would remove that little kick panel to access it. The message in the LCD is only saying the problem is with the ABS system. It is not saying that specifically the module itself is faulty. The ABS module has detected aproblem with the ABS system somewhere.With most ABS system faults the ABS isfully or partially disabled along with the traction control. The traction control isactually controlled by the ABS module. The ABS module will record what fault it isdetecting. You would need to connect a computer to the truck that can read BendixEC60 ABS codes. When you turn the key on, you should hear all the ABS modulatorvalves clicking one at a time for a start up check, (it should do 2 full cycles at each keyon for 8 clicks). If you turn the key on and do not hear the clicks this means the ABSmodule is not powering up with the rest of the truck. The main ABS fuses or breakersare located in the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat, located in spots F8-B andF8-D. These are both 30 amp. The ignitionfuse is a 5 amp fuse located in spot F11-D. Make sure none of these are tripped, blownor loose.

5. Demonrogue

Demonrogue Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Carson California
    It goes up to 60 when cold and dropsto 40 psi once warm but if I am stuck in traffic or when I stop for fuel or 30 min break it drops to just above 20 psi

6. dom14

dom14 Light Load Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Hi I have a'10 prostar my oil is at about 40psi when driving and temps around 170 but at idle it drops to about 20 psi same temp is this ok? I also have ABS light I seen you mentioned traction control my truck had been driving horrible lately on the highway could this be from the abs/traction fault thanks!

7. no love for a trucker

Jul 28, 2013
    What do your engine oil temperature during each change in oil pressure ?

8. no love for a trucker

Jul 28, 2013
    Look uo a guy called heavy d on here he's a guru. That's where I git the info I sent you from.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    20 psi is normal. Worry about it when it is under 15 psi. Warning doesn't happen until 8 psi. Cummins uses low pressure but high flow. Nothing to worry about. ABS is logging a code. Need to know what the code is. Usually right front wheel speed sensor. ABS will also turn on the triangle and Traction control light too sometimes since the ABS communicates with the engine.

dom14 and Demonrogue Thank this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I used to drive a 2010 Prostar with a Cummins and after about18,000 miles the oil filter always got full of soot and I had to have it changed.
    The company would change the oil every 30,000 miles and I always had to have 2 oil filters changed in between.
    And on that truck when the oil pressure got down to 20 it would shut down

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Those specs are straight from the ISX CM871 service manual. See 20 psi all the time. 1/2 the trucks out there would be shutting down. Did your truck have idle shutdown maybe?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.