2015 Cascadia Idle Optimizer

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by KingpinR, Jun 28, 2014.

1. KingpinR

KingpinR Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I have set this feature up according to the manual and after 4 to 6 minutes it shuts off and never restarts. When it shuts off the yellow engine light goes on and then the red stop indicator on the dash.

I make sure the hood is closed the brakes are set, the shift in N and start the engine and hold the cruise control and the acc button which take the idle up to 900rpms.

The idle control light on the dash never goes on and I have tried playing with the gauge in the sleeper.

Any clues? Its hot in Sacramento and I am evaporating.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Okay driver, pay attention.

Turn the engine on.

• Make sure hood is down and securely latched.
    • Put trans in neutral. Clutch pedal, all the way to the floor and release.
    • Put range selector into high, and press the cruise control button (on.)
    • You should now see the dash icon, illuminated, showing that opti idle is prepared to be set
    • Get into sleeper
    • Press mode TWICE
    • Press the down button, this selects the desired interior temperature
    • The dash icon should not be flashing (if I remember correctly) Though I think the newer cascadias might force the icon to go solid, as soon as the opti idle is set properly
    • On the next 5 min cycle, it will no longer shut down assuming the exterior tempt and interior temp are outside of the set parameters of opti-idle.

I'm sorry about your luck, getting a truck that is setup with opti-idle. It's a really terrible solution to the issue of idling. But we all have to play the cards we're delt.

A quick tip? Don't run that hvac at 100% force. Run it slightly lower, rather around 3 out of 4 on the selector. It will keep the cab cool, but won't cool it enough for the engine to completely shut down.

Wrapping a hand warmer around the exterior temp sensor will force the ECU to think it's hotter than it really is, outside, thusly allowing you to idle more easily.

You can also turn on "engine" mode, by skipping the last 5 steps. This will force the engine to kick over when the battery goes below 12.4 volts, and keep the batteries charged. Handy for when you're parked on home time or sitting in non-idle weather conditions. But I always fell back on the hand warmer method.

PS- if you bump that stick? Yeah, it's gonna pop itself out of opti-idle. It will also do that to itself, occasionally, when it kicks over or shuts down. Sometimes, wrapping a bungie cord on both sides, and attaching them to the seat mounts will help this. But again; opti-idle is just...God I hate it...

PPS- the external temp sensor is on the back of the trucks frame, typically secured to the far bumper with a zip-tie. It's a small, rounded out at the top 1.5 inch black device connected to 3 wires via a small clip connector. It's easy to identify.

PPPS- A video for reference.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  4. KingpinR

Jun 28, 2013
    Still wants to shut down after 5 minutes. I am going to try it the way the Werner dude showed and then resort to bungees.

The dash icon does flash though when I do it your way.

Other than that I guess the shop will have top figure it out for me.

Thanks for helping me not to melt.

5. Lux Prometheus

Lux Prometheus Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    San Venganza, Tx
    Bungees??? :wtf:

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  6. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    I know man. But you've gotta do what you've gotta do. That #### FL will kick itself out about 1 out of every 10 starts after a few years. That's not terrible, it represents about 4-5 hours of hvac control on a hot day. But being woken up, twice a night? Just to reset the idle control?

I had two separate Cascadias, with FFE on my own. My trainer also had one. Respectively their their years were

Trainer-'11
    First solo- '09
    Second solo- '12

All three did this, all were running dd13's and eaton-fuller 10 spd.

The bungies do help, and will even sometimes stop you from accidentally bumping it out when you're hopping in the drivers seat to play with the qualcomm.

7. KingpinR

Jun 28, 2013
    What I did last night was to get the cab down to 69 degrees and the outside was 76 then I shut it down and it stayed fair inside all night. Infact it was so cozy I slept 7 hours uninterrupted.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Lux Prometheus

Lux Prometheus Heavy Load Member

Oct 28, 2013
    San Venganza, Tx
    Explain what you're doing with the bungees, please

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  9. cabwrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    Sure, take a lengthy bungie, wrap the middle of he bungie around the base of the stick shift, then connect each end to the frames of both seats. This helps stabilize the shifter when the truck is starting up, so it doesn't wag around and kick itself out of opti-idle.

paul_4lp, 25(2)+2 and Lux Prometheus Thank this.
  10. KingpinR

Jun 28, 2013
    Well, After 3 days in 105+ weather and add on 2000 more miles I finally figured out my delima.

Seems that I needed to let the engine shut off and then have some patients and it would start up all by itself.

Who da thunk it was that simple.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. Babuji

Babuji Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Well, this is what I do on my 2015 Evo(auto)1> Make sure the the CC is off completely, so you don't see the round sign on the dash, 2>Press the resume/acc button once and i have noticed my RPM just takes a gasp, by which i mean from 500 rpm to 510 rpm. You don't even notice that on the dash bcos it is incremental in 100 rpm, but trust me, i am idling in hot Kelowna all day at 510 rpm and i does not shut off.

Matthew-Edward Odle Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.