2015 Pete 579 pluses and minuses.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Pasquale, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Belials

Belials Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Peterbilt dealer warranty manager here. Can confirm the extended warranties are pricey but will absolutely save you money in the long run. Absolutely recommend purchasing engine and afterteatment.

KonstanTrucker and Lucar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Motoo

Big Motoo Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Yes , the extended warranty is a must, I do more the 500k miles in 5 years , so I got the 4year 500k at $6750, you should see how many miles you do in a year and get that many years with 500k miles, no need to pay for extra years if you hit 500K before fifth year. And alot of people don't know that the aftertreatment standard warranty is only 100k to 60month that makes no sense, so a extended warranty is a must, since all new issues have to do with aftertreatment system.

Lucar and KonstanTrucker Thank this.
  4. KonstanTrucker

KonstanTrucker Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Montreal QC.
    Big Motoo, what about weight of them the truck with full tanks, how much will it adds on the total weight of the truck ? Is my calculation that i did on last post make sence? By multiplying every gollon by 7.1 pounds.
    Lucar what you say?
    Like I said earlier I will probably do a lot of miles, 900000 km/ 560000 miles in 3 years +/- so warranty will not be valid by end of that time and will not add resale value.
    But it's true that its worth it to have it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  5. KonstanTrucker

Dec 6, 2014
    Montreal QC.
    Was talking with salesman today on the phone, I came to the conlusion that 455 hp, its not good option for us. Also, between 455 hp and 485 hp there is 1000$ difference in price, and 800$ between 485 and 500 hp. Have to go with at least 485 for my applications (Job), but then there is no much diffrence from 500 hp in price and no diffrence at all in extended warranty. I do not think there is big difference in fuel consumption between those two...Of course it depends on how you drive, but if you do it in smart way, then you should be ok.
    I may go with 500hp...

6. KonstanTrucker

Dec 6, 2014
    Montreal QC.
    So guys, how's your Pit's did in the winter months? What you can share about it?
    Lucar, Big Motoo...
    Happy Spring time to you Truckers! You well deserved it, specially after winter time on the road! :flower::hello2:

7. Big Motoo

Big Motoo Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Hey Konstan, it drove thru the winter like it was summer, handles real well, I regular route is Indiana to Massachusetts so I hit the hardest part of winter, it was no sweat , coming out of a Volvo 670 , the 579 handled mug better and had no issues with maneuvering around the snow and ice, inter axle lock is always a must, but Pete's new Traction Control was amazing I didn't have to use my axle lock at all this year, TC did all the work. Best truck I ever drove brother

8. KonstanTrucker

Dec 6, 2014
    Montreal QC.
    Nice... Really happy to hear that, love when people really happy with there trucks and the money they spend for work machine well Worth what! I lleft for 2 months to the south in the end of January, now it's time to comeback and make some important choices/discussions. The exchange rate between US dollar and Canadian for the last 8 month going through the roof, now it's coast 25.000$+ more for the same truck what it worth last summer, it's crazy!

9. heavymoto81

heavymoto81 Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2015
    I'm thinking of this model but the 567 for heavy haul( up to 230k) Thoughts on the Bendix Smartire tmps. Good or bad option and any problems with the system. Seems like a good option for safety, since I usually have 18-20k on the front end. When the big front end tires blow, nothing good happens at all. Thanks for any info

10. spectacle13

spectacle13 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Haven't seen it posted here, we just got a slightly used 2014 589, has anyone else been driven insane by the wind noise on the factory visor? Is there a fix besides replacing it? How did peterbilt not notice it was so noisy in testing?

11. Big Motoo

Big Motoo Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2014
    I have a 2015 579 and having the same noise issues , you sure it's the visor? I was thinking it's the side mirrors , I talked to my dealer about it , he took a run with me acted like he didn't hear it and said there's nothing in the system about complaints about it. It's loud whistling noise?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.