2015 Prostar - Engine Brake - WTF?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by MM3Deg, Jul 25, 2015.

1. MM3Deg

MM3Deg Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    The friggin engine brake works just fine, until I really need it... and nothing!!

Stop and go traffic... downshifting to a red light.. just fine.

Surprised by a curve thats sharper than expected... nothing.
    Steep hills like thru Austin.. or I20 out past weatherford.... nothing.
    Traffic coming to an unexpected halt... nothing, until I downshift.

If I'm just cruising along, nice steady flat land and no hazards... let off the throttle, works?? WTF?

The only other truck I have experience with is the T660. And the way it worked there was, kick in when off throttle, apply light throttle to disengage, release light throttle to re-engage. Of course after turning on, and selecting power level.

I have also noticed that sometimes when it is working as expected, if I apply the light throttle to 'coast' for a minute will not re-engage... only sometimes. Even if I turn it off and back on still nothing.

Being a rookie... I wondering if there is a problem? or if there is difference in operation between the Ken and Int. I have heard talk about Int engine brake being garbage... but I took it mean that it was weak, not hit and miss.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    When it fails to engage, stick your toe under the throttle pedal and pull back a little and see if it starts working. I had a 2013 that had a similar issue. Turns out the throttle position sensor was bad. It would stick just enough to keep the jake from working. When they plugged the computer into it, it showed it fluctuating between 1 and 2% throttle. 30 minutes later, a new throttle assembly installed and it cured it and it hasn't done it since.

If you have a Maxxforce engine, as far as the new engine brake, on a Maxxforce, used as recommended by Navistar, they work good. Recommended RPM's for maximum braking power on a Maxxforce is 1900-2100...don't exceed 2350. I roll down Cabbage hill in Oregon with 44,000 lbs between 45 and 55 mph, and only touch the brakes a few times. The old Maxxforce exhaust brake sucked, but since they started using compression (jake) brakes, it was a major improvement.

And BTW, from the factory, Maxxforce has a built in 'float shift' delay on the jake. It hesitates engagement of the jake very briefly so drivers like me can float shift.

If you have the Cummins, then ignore all the parts about the Maxxforce, but it still might be your throttle pedal. It could also be your clutch pedal sensor...Prostars have been known to have their clutch linkages a little out of adjustment causing issues with the sensor

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    MM3Deg Thanks this.
  4. XCELERATIONRULES

XCELERATIONRULES Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2014
    I believe youll need to reapply the foot brake,to engauge jake.It does not stay on like the 680.

5. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    No..he is probably operating it correctly..
    I float a lot from different trucks in our fleet and have driven dozens n dozens of different Pro-stars and just this past week I drove one that was as he describes,with a intermittent jake brake..the dam thing just seemed to operate whenever it felt like it (very frustrating and even somewhat dangerous..)
    Interesting reply from supersnackbar: possibly he could be onto something?
    There was clearly something wrong w the one I drove this week.

MM3Deg Thanks this.
  6. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Alot of the new trucks are coming programed not to engage the jakes until you hit the foot break and they wont kick in 35mph and below. This is on the cummins model and when I asked the dealer about it he said and I quote "it was done in the name of fuel milage" all of our 2014 and above are set up to have to hit foot break first and all the 2015 and 16s have a speed u have to before it to work.

7. XCELERATIONRULES

XCELERATIONRULES Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Kind of silly to compromise brake wear for 1mpg fuel savings.I hated coming down steep grades,having to reapply foot brake,to engauge the jake.I like the 680,much better,with automatic operation,whenever you release the accellerator.

8. MM3Deg

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hitting the brake does not change anything. Obviously its the first thing done, when the engine brake leaves me hangin.... still no change.

I dispatch tonight, so I will try supersnacks tips to see if that helps...

9. MM3Deg

Sep 23, 2007
    Fort Worth, TX
    Also I have tried clutching.. light clutching, full clutch, brake tap, brake hard, switch off and switch on, toggling power levels, etc. Just about everything I could think of...

The only thing that seems to kick it back on is a full brake down to a downshift... just seemed unreasonable that it was designed to function that way, since you should never be downshifting on a dangerous grade!!

10. AndrewH

AndrewH Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Gulf Coast
    May have a broken clutch switch. They break sometimes if your not careful and your foot slips of the clutch with pressure, or might have accidentally kicked the wall behind the clutch (where most clutch switches are) ... If your cruise control is not engaging too then it's almost a 100% chance you have a bad clutch switch. AND OR you may have a broke or out of adjustment clutch spring

Good luck

11. Trckdrvr

Trckdrvr Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Simple answer..There IS something wrong with it.(period)
    as I said earlier I have driven dozens dozens of the pro stars in our fleet and this last one I drove I experienced exactly what you described and I also tried EVERY remedy I could think of?
    Pedal position (lifting up on clutch pedal)is one i didn't think of..
    although I did try slapping the throttle(stomp)because the dam thing was SO intermittent?..

MM3Deg Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.