2016 Cascadia...was told that adding 6 LED markers to the cab would screw up computer?

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by EZ Money, Apr 30, 2016.

1. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I was going to power them from the hot wire from the existing side marker-turn signal light.
    The guy at the shop we use said it will have to be sent to the dealer and have the computer reprogrammed.
    These are Grote thin line LED lights....they pull like .05 amps a piece....not sure if the guy was just screwing with me or not...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Marker lights are controlled by the SAM_CAB. It could throw a high amperage fault because that circuit is a unfused logic controlled circuit.

Try it and see what happens, I doubt it will be enough to throw that fault though. I've seen a lot of trucks with additional lighting that I doubt had any parameters changed.

Parameter "PARM-CHAS, MKR, DET" in the sam_chassis can disable marker light fault detection.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    EZ Money Thanks this.
  4. EZ Money

Thanks Animosus...I was kind of thinking the same thing.
    If it does not work I will run a fused lead off the battery to a switch....just bypass SAM-CAB altogether..
    It would just be super easy to run them off that front marker-turn light on the side of the fender..
    I will try to hook them up tomorrow and see.

5. EZ Money

Installed them today...NO issues at all!
    I used the existing power from the side marker lights just in front of the doors....It works just fine!

Animosus Thanks this.
  6. SLCTrucker

SLCTrucker Medium Load Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Salt Lake City UT
    It wont code if you use LEDs, I have 8 extra either side, 11 on front bumper & extra on the rear too.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.