2016 freightliner cascadia - newbie needs help w/ antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by 762x39, Oct 16, 2015.

1. 762x39

762x39 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Hello. Hope all is well.

I need some advice on a new cb setup. Does anyone know if the factory cb power wires can handle 15 to 20 amps?

Also, I plan on installing a single Wilson t2000 antenna on the mirror bracket. Will the bolt that holds the bracket in be suffice as a good ground? Also, does it matter whether the antenna is installed on the driver or passenger side? Also, is there a specific type of cb coax I need when running a single antenna setup? Last question, do I also need to provide a good chassis ground for the cb?

I also wanted to ask if the Wilson t2000 antenna is tunable and if so, is it difficult to tune?

My current cb setup is a cobra 29 classic using factory cb antenna. The factory antenna performs poorly!

Thanks in advance. I am new to the forum :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Most of these guys are gonna tell you a long Firestik or Skipshooter is the best way to go on a Cascadia. I personally have the 6' Skipshooter and it seems to perform decently (could/should be a lot better if I would put effort in to improve the setup) and my SWR's and nice and low. I'm using this mount on the driver side, too much antenna for the little dowel mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-CAC...hash=item27de24f528:m:m1x-E-56v3ojPGFr6pZT5ig

4. 762x39

762x39 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. What do you think of the Wilson t2000 antenna with that mount you linked?

Also, do you know where the fuse is for the factory cb power wires and what the fuse is rated at?

Thanks again!

5. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Hey there, yes your wilson antenna will work fine with the mount racemaxx24 posted. As for coax there's an old myth that you should always use 18' but it truly doesn't matter. Just make sure you don't coil up your coax when running it to your antenna, snake it instead. I've always mounted my single setups on the driver side because you'll keep it out of the trees on most roads in the slow lane :)
    Also don't forget to check your SWR with an external meter before keying up your radio

6. 762x39

762x39 Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Cool sounds good. I plan to use the cascadia mount that bolts onto the mirror bolts. Is this a good enough ground? The bolts bolt right into the metal door. Do u recommend Wilson t2000 or fiberglass whip? I'm only running 100w. Thanks

7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
  8. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    15amps on factory wiring might be pushing it. When I had a Cascadia I used the bracket maxx posted with a Wilson antenna on 12' of cable. It would usually reach way futher than I needed it too on full power but it worked like a charm at 1.2 SWR and drawing about 30amps. I used lugs to mount to the inverter power cables and 10ga wire to the cb. But the sure fire way to find out is hook it up key up briefly and if the cb lighting dims or the fuse pops you have your answer.

Edit: Also yes there is a specific resistance you need for single vs co-phased. I believe single is RG8x (forget the ohm)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  9. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    Nighthawk325, The resistance value of the coaxial cable when using a single antenna setup is 50 ohms. When using a single antenna setup, stay far away from RG59 - wrong resistance value. Most anything else would be good. Specifically, any of the RG 8, RG 58, RG213 many of the LMR coax. For more specific information on the type of coax you want to use, try searching the web for "what coaxial cable for mobile cb radio". Also companies that sell coax cable have websites with alot of information; such as "http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/cable.html" among many others.

Nighthawk325 Thanks this.
  10. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Thanks I knew it was a specific cable but late night posts = lazy :D.

11. Freightshaker613

Freightshaker613 Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Forgot to mention 762 that wilson antenna is ver easy to tune. There's a small hex screw where the steel rod meets the coil. Just loosen the screw and raise or lower to tune. When i run wilsons like that when I installed them i just dropped the rod all the way down, then lifted it up about 1/4' and checked SWR and got lucky. Hope this helps. Cheers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.