2016 freightliner cascadia - newbie needs help w/ antenna

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by 762x39, Oct 16, 2015.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Let us know how It transmits..

darthanubis Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What kind of metal Is it?

4. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Well, haven't talked much on it, but hit one bridge, a power wire, and multiple trees with it! I can hear all kinds of distance voices. I was on top of a hill on 78, ex 11 I think? I had the squelch backed all the way off, RF wide open and it was somewhat quiet! I could hear voice though. I didn't try talking to anyone. But when I give a scale report, the driver that came back was LOUD! He had to be in line behind me. I was in the yard at ex174 on 81 and I was listening to some drunk go on and on. I said, drunk huh? Another driver said yup. Then two other drivers started talking. S driver in the yard with a 4ft firestik asked me who I was talking to because he couldn't hear anything!?!

I'll only run my antenna on the passenger side as high as I can from now on. I still have to test distance with someone. I suspect the results will be awesome. As good as with the Prostar, and better. Get that metal high in the air!!! No lean! I'm not worried about the obstacle strikes, it's a metal whip!

5. darthanubis

darthanubis Heavy Load Member

Jun 26, 2015
    So it rained today here in VT, and again I was able to back squelch off all the way with RF gain up, and high tone with NB on. Very little hiss and heard people talking clearly in the distance! Here all this time I thought my radio was either poorly tuned or had crap receive. It has been antenna location the whole time!

Like wolvie said, I didn't want to try to break their conversation for a distance check. I've got some driving to do, I'll try to find someone to talk to in the next few days.

wolverine11 Thanks this.
  6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Dedgummit man...you've got me wanting to try that #### now. Still have my Terminator II antenna under the bunk...

darthanubis Thanks this.
  7. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Okay...here goes. Unfortunately the truck I mounted this antenna on previously was so ####ed up, I had to cut 4" off the whip to make it right. On this truck it's showing too short, and I have the whip fully extended, so I need a new whip, but from 15-40 it's under 2:1.

I re-used my existing perch mount, and the nice people at the Petro shop in Perrysburg drilled the correct holes in it for free, after I made the measurements and marked it. Kudos to them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  8. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    I forgot about another antenna I had chillin' under the bunk. An old radio shack 64" base loaded whip. No longer have a use for it, so I cannibalized it. The whip was the right diameter so I cut it down and now it's just about right.

9. BigDaddyDave1961c

BigDaddyDave1961c Bobtail Member

Jun 7, 2017
    I have a 2017 Cascadia. I also have the Cobra 29 LTD Classic. I have two 4 foot firestix, two 18 foot coaxial and the antennas are mounted using the mirror brackets. It works good but im putting grounding straps on this weekend.

10. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    :biggrin_2554::biggrin_2554::biggrin_2554:
    But how will you ever get by without that little mirror?!:biggrin_2554:

11. volvo244t

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Are you kidding? It was a Crete truck, they order them as stripped-down as they can order them. It didn't have that mirror. :laughing5:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.