2016 freightliner issues

Discussion in 'Prime' started by andytalllurch, May 31, 2015.

1. JimmyBones

JimmyBones Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2011
    Baxley, GA
    Making me nervous, I just ordered one to be delivered in August.

maurice80 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. andytalllurch

andytalllurch Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    I would stay on top of it. The new apus are good. I need to find out how to disconnect the block heater for the warmer months. Right now it is suffering from an electrical gremlin. Says low coolant and shuts off. Check the coolant and it is full. Also shows low oil and know it is full. But when it runs you are golden. Is quiet and doesn't shake the sleeper at all. Will post more as anything comes up.

maurice80 Thanks this.
  4. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    Have them check the bottom fan. It sounds like that isn't working properly which is causing it to overheat and throw those codes. I've gone through 2 of them on mine. It acts exactly like you described when it starts to go.

5. andytalllurch

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    Has a Gen 3 rigmaster. Only has 1 fan that I can see. In the manual it says to it may be a cause for it to lug down like that. If I turn tge air up a few degrees that usually gets it to run then i turn it down.

6. andytalllurch

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    The issues continue, apu gen 3 with a kohler. The new one that is all that is available is on strike, gonna head through slc. Think ac compresssor might be bad. Starts runs once ac comes on thats all she wrote...

7. andytalllurch

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    I will get them to look at It in slc. Wish it was pittston they have the best shop.... out of the three

8. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    I was having the same issues as well and earlier this week while I was at the truck wash and them wash the apu engine and that has fixed my issues. The amount of dust in and on my apu was very very thick. I figure I'll every other month have it washed just to help it out. The place I went to didn't even charge me for the engine wash since it took less then 3 minutes, LOL.

Chucktshoes Thanks this.
  9. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Medium Load Member

May 23, 2014
    Memphis, TN
    If find that you are having APU issues and can get routed close to Shelbyville, TN so you can bobtail into the DC, do it. Quite a few of the drivers who used to run out of here will only have the guys here work on their APUs. I'd put them up against any other Prime shop. No joke.
    That's not a bad idea at all. I wouldn't be surprised if the road gunk building up is what is taking out the fans.

10. redoctober83

redoctober83 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Seattle, wa
    With the location that apu is at in the truck, it's going to collect so much crap from the road despite that cover they have on it. I also recommend washing your truck engine every once and awhile as well. Helps you spot any leaks or problems during your pretrip.

Chucktshoes and FullMetalJacket Thank this.
  11. andytalllurch

Jan 15, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    The new ones have the fans monted to the back side of the box they are in. Radiator faces the frame of the truck, air intake looks to be mounted towards the bottom, that is an idea that wasn't thought out too well....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.