2016 Volvo Recall Class-Action Suit

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Jay1978, Mar 26, 2016.

1. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    A little research on Volvo and you would soon discover that parts are not really forthcoming even for standard repairs. A guy I went to HS with will not own another one because it always took so long to get parts. If it were up to me and the parts were what was needed and they fit, I would halt ALL new truck production and ship those parts to where they are needed. But then that would make sense and we cannot have that.

As far as that recall 10 years ago, I can guarantee that you are not talking about two identical parts. They may perform the same function but some redesign has been done. The thought process there would be that the redesign was to fix the original recall issue. So that is not negligent on the part of Volvo. Heck they are recalling at 27,000 units instead of a much larger number like the 68k 10 years ago.

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jay1978

Jay1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Good point on the part manufacturing. I agree. But to the recall 10 years ago, you are correct, it is not the same issue, nor did I suggest that it was, other than to say it revolved around the same two-piece styled steering shaft. Now, with this recall, they are replacing them with one-piece steering shafts, eliminating the two-piece all together. So good for them, it only took nearly 10 years, and nearly 100,000 truck recalled to wise up. Some people on here call that being "proactive" though.

4. Jay1978

Jay1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2016
    LOL, not even 5th wheel grease! It's fully specked out. The base was I think $140,000, but I had other upgrades that drove it up. (leather heated swivel sweats with back cylers, tv, appliance package, security system, full ferrings, chrome package, chicken lights, inverter, etc, etc)

I don't mind paying for quality and comfort. I work hard. I deserve it. Make's life on the road a little easier. Is it worth it? That's in the eye of the beholder I guess, but it's also a write off. But then I expect to be able to use it, without major mechanical defect that can cause a life threatening incident, with only 20,000 miles on it, outside of wear and tear. Is that too much to ask?

KB3MMX and otherhalftw Thank this.
  5. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    I understand your emotion with this...I was equally frustrated in El Paso...but you have to keep in mind that anything mechanical can and will have failures. I know you don't agree, but I think Volvo actually went overboard in shutting down all units effected by this. 4 incidents (and we don't know the circumstances ... what the units were doing at the time of failure, or leading up to the failure).

Personally, the same "interim fix" could have been accomplished with hose clamps around the connecting piece. And the simple fix could have been done by either a Volvo shop or a T/A-Petro shop, and the driver given some instruction in maintaining the tension in his/her regular pre-trip and possibly mid-trip inspection. But...with the "quality" of new drivers we are plagued with...no one can trust that drivers actually do pre or mid trip inspections, or even know what they are looking at!

windsmith Thanks this.
  6. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Were you personally injured as a result of this? No? Then sit down. You mentioned that this has been an issue for the past 10 years, and presumably 12 trucks have crashed as a result of what you call an ongoing issue. That's 1.2 crashes per year. The odds of you being one of them are about the same as you winning the powerball lottery.

So go buy a ticket and get back to work.

7. Jay1978

Jay1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2016
    I will sit down, ... in a court room!

Wow, I love playing averages too. The average of winning these lawsuits are 2 in 3. Odds are on my side.

And I'd gladly get back to work when this company decides to repair my truck, so #### off!

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  8. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    No reason to get upset. Everyone is allowed their opinion.....if it is different from yours, just let it slide. No point getting the thread closed.

260jujubee209 and Jay1978 Thank this.
  9. Jay1978

Jay1978 Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Good point. Opinions are like buttholes anyways, everyone's got one and they all stink.

260jujubee209 and otherhalftw Thank this.
  10. 260jujubee209

260jujubee209 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2016
    My husband was on I80 near Chicago when hit a pothole. He said something in the front of his truck(2015 780) broke.He had no steering, he was in the center lane, slid straight across the first lane (there was a curve in the road),sliding off road, hit a guardrail and slid to a stop. He was very lucky not to have hit anyone. Everyone knows how the traffic is in that area. It was daytime. The company he works for, told him it was preventable. The people at Volvo told the company it was preventable and the company chose to believe them. My husband has been driving trucks for over 30 years. He said he explained the best he could that there was nothing he could do, an that he wasn't his fault , but their ears were closed. He told them to a the time, he wanted it on record and refused to sign anything. This sounds like this could be the recall defect you are speaking of. My husband said he has hit potholes big an small over the years, plus just the feel of the truck(it had over 300,000 miles). He was really upset and rightly so. It could have easily been a major accident involving many cars. Possibly his LIFE. I know when he called me he was really shaken. If this steering that broke is one of this recall, HOW DARE THEY!

KB3MMX and Jay1978 Thank this.
  11. 260jujubee209

260jujubee209 Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2016
    My husband has driven almost 2,000,000 miles, working at this company.

Jay1978 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.