2m, 6m, or 10m Ham radios which is best, why

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by oldcornbinder, Jan 14, 2009.

1. KE5WDP

KE5WDP Road Train Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Caddo Lake, Texas
    When I was OTR, I bought a Yaesu 857d. Ran 2 hamsticks and a 2 meter antenna. Talked all over the world while driving down the road. People do not know what they are missing...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turbo-T

Turbo-T Road Train Member

May 31, 2009
    How good are the 857 Yaesus as compared to the TS-2000 Kenwood?

I'd like to get a TS-2000 but they're a bit pricey. The 857 seems to be roughly half the price, and still give you all the bands....unless I am missing something.

4. Mad Dog 20/20

Mad Dog 20/20 Heavy Load Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Skid Row
    I've owned both and preferred the Kenwood because it had more features that were useful to me.The 857 wasn't a bad radio but I didn't care for the small display.

cuzzin it Thanks this.
  5. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Right now eith mt eyes as big a mess as they are the TS-2000 display is a godsent ....

6. kb0wzh

kb0wzh Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I am a General class operator, "Citizen Band" and "10 meter" ham band radios are both easy to convert over but it is totally illegal to do so. If you want to get your "ham ticket" you can do voice on 10 meter on SSB, 6 meter, 2 meter all the way to microwave! You CAN NOT(!) interfere with public service radio (I am also a certified storm spotter for Emergency Management). Now you can modify the radios to go out of band, if you do you will be heavily fined and serve jail time. Now you will be taught all of the rules you will need to know and know what you will need to have fun! Here is a link you can go to http://www.arrl.org I would highly recommend everyone to check this sight out, it will tell you everything you will need to know!
    73 Brother,
    kb0wzh (Lee):biggrin_25519:

7. kb0wzh

kb0wzh Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Here is some of the things you can do with ham radio>>>>
    You can communicate from the top of a mountain, your home or behind the wheel of your car. You can take radio wherever you go! In times of disaster, when regular communications channels fail, hams can swing into action assisting
    emergency communications efforts and working with
    public service agencies . At other times, you can talk to Shuttle astronauts or bounce signals off the moon. You can use telegraphy, voice, digital, even images in communication with other hams. Know any other hobby with so much to offer? Although the main purpose of the hobby is fun, it is called the "Amateur Radio Service" because it also has a serious face. The FCC created the "Service" to fill the need for a pool of experts who could provide backup emergency communications in times of need. In addition, the FCC acknowledged the ability of the hobby to advance communication and technical knowledge, and enhance international goodwill. A basic new handheld radio can cost about the same as an inexpensive 19-inch color TV. Flea market bargains can cost a lot less. A new tabletop multi-band unit for your home radio shack can cost about the same as the PC you're reading this on. Materials to get you started are relatively inexpensive, and the exam fee you'll pay when you're ready to test is nominal. Nobody knows when Amateur Radio operators were first called "hams," but we do know that Amateur Radio is as old as the history of radio itself. In 1912, Congress passed the first laws regulating radio transmissions in the US. By 1914, amateur experimenters were communicating nationwide, and setting up a system to relay messages from coast to coast (that's how we got our name, American Radio Relay League, ARRL, for short). You bet! The beauty of ham radio is it can fit the time, space, and budget that YOU decide is right for you. It's got that low stress, high fun ratio that many busy people seek in their off-hours. It can also be great family fun or a solitary pleasure.This information is taken from http://www.arrl.org you can get a lot more info from this site also.

8. Railham

Railham Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    You guy better add another ham trucker on to the list lol .
    I also notice that some of the ham truckers uses APRS
    73's KJ4PIU CJ "Railham" G.

9. st-4

st-4 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2012
    i mentioned this some way back it dosn't sink in to open up the radio for normal use out of band is illeagal not to say to do these mods for emergancy comunications is wrong just that a ham radio can't be a comercial vhf or cb radio there are type accepted radios for that sorry your cab will have to look like a cop car

10. outlawtrucker44

outlawtrucker44 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2012
    monticello,florida
    i run a icom 706 with a ldg pro200 tuner into a wilson 2000 antenna.it tunes 20 meters real nice.73s ya"ll KI4AGD

11. Railham

Railham Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    How's you antenna set up ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.