3 car haulers stop at scales?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by georgeandson, Jul 28, 2011.

1. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA

Exactly what both of these guys have said, you CAN'T afford to do it part time, and 3 cars behind a dually in an enclosed trailer, hope no one pulls out in front of you......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    The scales in Donner still says no pickups on the sign. I can't remember seeing it in the Cajon though.

4. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    In the state of Indiana, if your driving a 10K + plated vehicle, you are to stop at all scales. And you MUST have a chauffers license, and a CDL B if the vehicle has air brakes

5. smugglinggoods

smugglinggoods Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2010
    This means no personal vehicles. A pickup hauling for hire is not a pickup but a commercial vehicle so you must stop. I asked one day so I could be clear. They got tired of guys driving there personal pickups and thinking they were trucks and pulling into scales.

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The true definition as told to me by California and Oklahoma, is that if a bill of lading is in the vehicle, then it is classified as a truck.

7. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Got it will stop at scales.
    I was doing my route all week and watching this 3 and 2 car haulers. I didnt see one pull in to a scale in Oregon. they all drove right by. Then I see a 2500 truck pulling a trailer with a ton of traffic cones and traffic control signs getting inspected. I pulled in and sat in my truck and ate lunch and watched. He got sited for something then left and hour later.
    One guy I asked in a truck stop said he never stops and doesn't even have dot numbers. Another had his dually sticker d up and always stopped at scales he said.

I have run a truck under my own authority and understand what it requires. The onky reason I closed my compnay was due to paying freight. I refused to work for free. I rather drive my truck in to a garage and park it for ever then pull someones freight for break even cost of truck or less and not make a pay check. So I am aware of low rates and risks.....to a point. Im still considering it so I can't be that bright after all LOL.

As for the dually. I quickly did my home work and came to the conclusion that a dually and a 2 car hauler is a waste of time and money in the end. I rather keep my job and no stress and no risk....just a pay check every week.

So I looked at a international 9200 with a 3 car hauler (wedge). That looks good. freight can be had but you need to know were and how to get it. I have a lot of people I know in the car business and I will approach them once I'm rolling and ready.

Insurance is way more then pulling a 53 dry van with an otr truck. Its unbelievable. But I did manage to find a 7,800 a year quote. 10% down and the rest in 10 payments. For a 3 car wedge and a med duty truck. An international I found.

As for the part time. I think its going to be part time to get this going. Cause you guys are right I don't think I could do it part time and even make the money for the payment and insurance.

My plan is to do a day cab med duty international with a 3 car wedge.
    What are your thoughts on that???????

8. LBZ

LBZ Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Road to Nowhere
    The difference explained to me was that if the factory bed is on & your registration does not state your pick up as a tractor, then you are a pick up & roll on. Was only out there a couple times in 07 & never stopped. Stopped in all other states though.

Also some guys rolling past in other states may have pre pass. Though just a guess that it is less than 50% with the others just ignoring the signs until they get chased down.

9. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    I just called a guy about a 3 car wedge of craigslist and while talking I asked if he stops at scales and he laughed and said... I can tell you never done this. He said he never stops at scales and never been stopped and he doesnt even have a dot number.

10. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    And he's running illegal, he may be getting by with it for now, but someday he'll get stopped and then have to call his clients and explain why their car won't get there because his truck is parked behind a scale.

misterG, BigJohn54 and jbatmick Thank this.
  11. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    A smart man once told me there are 2 kinds of people in the world, "Those who get caught, and those who don't, and after a while, if you are one kind, your luck will change and you will become the other. You just never know when the change will come:smt073".
    The odds will catch up with him sooner or later, and the right DOT officer will make him wish he had his ducks in a row a little better:smt075.
    The days of running like we used to are over.:pottytrain4:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.