3 Companies in 6 Months, over a Dozen Trucks Driven

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by reefertank, Jun 26, 2016.

1. reefertank

reefertank Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I must have the worst luck in the world. I'm in quite a pickle and not sure what to do. My ultimate goal is to purchase a used truck and gain my own authority, possibly starting off with a mega carrier to understand the industry a little more before going out on my own. That goal was going to happen after I gain 1 year experience as a company driver.

So, here is the situation I'm in. I am currently in a motel room, and have spent more days in a motel than in a company truck. I started 5 days ago, assigned to a truck with engine issues. Then I was re-assigned to a another truck with an engine light on and no a/c (spent 18 hours+ in the truck 90+ degree weather, having to "sleep" in it 1 night). I drove the truck down to a new terminal, re-assigned to another that was sitting on the lot and drove it roughly 80 miles before it quit on me. It was towed back and I was re-assigned to yet another truck, with no a/c. So, let's recap. My first 4 days on the job, I was in 4 different trucks. I spent hours looking for one that worked, up to a dozen, and the only truck that worked was on the dry side (I'm refrigerated), and I was not allowed to use it. ------- I ultimately drove back in the original truck I left with and now am in a motel room wondering what went wrong in my life.

The last company I worked for, I experienced a similar issue. In the last 2 weeks, the beat up rental I was assigned to broke down on me twice, once towed in the middle of the night (got 2 hours of sleep). I was re-assigned to 3 other trucks, one of which was a day cab that had no jake break... ended up smoking the breaks 1,000 feet before a weigh station... almost quit but just took a week off hoping they would put me in a decent truck when I got back. Ended up with another rental truck with air leaks, nail in tire, etc. Ran with it, told them I'm done when and if I get back... luckily it barely held air pressure.

Please don't make this thread some sort of pissing contest. I have not quit this new company I'm with, because I've come to the conclusion there is nothing better out there and I just need to face these ridiculous hurdles in life if I want to make it.

With 6 months experience under my belt, will a broker take me? And am I able to finance a truck with $15,000 (savings) and no collateral?

OH, and my best friend is a heavy equipment diesel mechanic, and said he will help me make repairs to the truck.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Canned Spam

Canned Spam Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2010
    STL
    You're a better man than I

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The answer is simple; work for a company that has decent equipment. You won't survive as an 0/0 because even the experienced 0/0's are having a hard time right now.

Ougigoug, Big Don, Eeyore05 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    This no a/c business is bull####. Don't accept another truck with no a/c. Refuse it. Don't move it one inch. If the company has an issue with it, tell them to take the F U train.

You can have another job in less than an hour.

Florida Playboy and reefertank Thank this.
  6. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I don't doubt you, the economy is on its last breath. My options are limited as I have already job hopped twice in 6 months. I'm afraid If I leave again, no other company will take me. I may just walk in tomorrow and demand a truck with less than 250,000 miles/2 years... willing to spend a month out of work until they find me one. Its funny I have to demand a truck with less than 250k/2years, because they advertise the average age of their fleet being 2 years or younger... all I'm experiencing are the 5 year, 400,000 mile trucks.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  8. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    When I worked at a Florida flat bed company. The new drivers got the buckets. In short. Do a completes pre trip and write up every inch of the bucket. Then set down with dispatch and lead mechanic. To discuss why you are not driving it.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You can try! Just say to prospective employers you've had bad experiences working for companies with poorly maintained equipment.
    KKW Trucking
    Abilene Motor Express
    Magnum Ltd.
    Freymiller
    Navajo Express

Not sure about KKW age of trucks, but the others have been on a buying spree with new trucks and putting new drivers in new trucks.
    There's been no complaints on here about KKW trucks; all reviews are good.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    NavigatorWife and CasanovaCruiser Thank this.
  10. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I believe this company has over 10,000 trucks. Its a pretty big company. If they advertise the average age of their trucks being 2 years, people are going to expect their oldest truck being 3 years old or 300,000 miles. First truck they assigned me to had almost 500,000 miles. They didn't have time for me to do a complete pre-trip, as it was the end of the day and everyone in the office wanted to go home. Later that night, I took the time to do a pre-trip and found a bunch of problems. Called them up telling them this and that and they said they'll talk to me tomorrow morning. The other issues on my first day: They assigned me an early delivery the next day with no empty trailers to hook up to in the yard (they forgot to check?)... and my e-log wasn't working... ended up being an hour late to my appointment. The shop suggested I just run with the truck, pick up the load and come back... later they told me to just drive to the next terminal on my way to the consignee. --- Me refusing to run with the truck would probably make a bad first impression, so I just did what they told me.

11. reefertank

Jan 22, 2015
    Eastern Oregon
    I'm in Idaho and I'm not sure if I want to go with Navajo Express. I really hate job hopping, the process of applying and going through orientation is a pain. I've been self-employed for quite some time and companies always have a problem with that. So, if they don't offer me what I want (<250,000 miles/2 years), then I'll just have to suck it up and start searching for yet another company to work for, and pray I don't go through the same experience.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.