30 minute break does not stop 14 hour clock...

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Pumpkin Oval Head, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Pumpkin Oval Head

Pumpkin Oval Head Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    It is my understanding that nothing stops the 14 hour clock from the time you come on duty.

I just started driving a day cab hauling frozen food to grocery stores and average 3 stops and 250 to 300 miles a day. I do not usually run up against the the 14 hour limit, but Friday had three 2 hour delays, for a long day and hit 14 hours, and went over by two hours. Being new to this job and the area, I got stuck in philly traffic on a holiday Friday afternoon. Won't do that again.

I had an extra stop for a live load that I could have skipped to get back home in under 14 hrs. My live load was delayed by 1.5 hours while they picked the stuff for the 20 pallets....which they were supposed to have done 8 hours earlier, but they were slammed too. I had called into my dispatch to make sure the back haul warehouse would be open, but I had no idea to ask about if the pallets were loaded yet...next time I will!

this is the first time I have had to deal with this issue, and so I went a few hours over. In the future I will not allow this to occur, as I will call dispatch and tell them to either skip the back haul or put me in a hotel.

I will be talking with my scheduler to bring him up to speed on how the 14 hour rule works. I think he is not aware of any hos rules, as all he does is schedule loads for 60 drivers which is a big job by itself. The gm is a former driver, so he knows the rules, but he didn't return my calls..... I think the scheduler checks with the gm anytime there is an issue called in.

Just wanting to make sure I understand the rule correctly. I have read the rule from other posters as I did a search on it, and this seems to be the consensus.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    an 8 hour sleeper break does.

SLCTrucker, x1Heavy, tscottme and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    The only thing that stops the 14 hr clock is an 8 hr SLEEPER BERTH break.It must be 8hrs continuous sleeper and it must be sleeper only.Can't combine it with off duty.That stops the 8 hr clock then when you start again the clock begins again with the time available before break.

SLCTrucker and rachi Thank this.
  5. Dakota1358

Dakota1358 Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Staunton,Va
    Example you do a 15 minute pretrip drive 5 hrs and unload for 30 min if you immediately go to sleeper for 8hrs you had 5.75 hrs of on duty time so you have 8.25 on your 14 hr clock after the 8hr sleeper you will still have the 8.25hr left for your 14.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  6. GreenMonster9669

GreenMonster9669 Medium Load Member

Aug 16, 2014
    St Louis
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  7. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    This is true,if memory serves: Once a week if you run locally or 300-600 miles a day and normally return to base (haven't layer over all week) you qualify for the 16 hour "short haul truckers exeption". Bear in mind you can only use this (once a week) and I think you need to take your break at exactly 7 1/2 hours to get the full effect.Don't want to have to take another break at 14 to 15 1/2 hours !. Also you still only get 11 hours total drive time out of the 16.You can drive after your 14 th hour on the clock.As long as it doesn't go over 11 hours total drive time.This exeption is aimed at the driver that spends 5 or more hours a day "delivering". Not an OTR on a 7 day clock,but a local or close regional driver on a 5 day clock ie off every weekend to get a good reset.

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Not if your doing local for a company that runs OTR on a 70/8. The local you describe is a 70/7 week. You can't mix and match, you get one choice per MC number 70/8 or 70/7.
    What you describe is exactly how CEMEX operates in a 70/7 format.
    The mega's that run day cab's for local are still under the same rules as OTR. 11/14, 70/8. 34 restart.

9. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    My company only runs local, no otr. So I think I qualify for the exemption.

10. Pumpkin Oval Head

Jun 24, 2010
    Scranton PA
    GreenMonster9669 Thanks this.
  11. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    We did no OTR we would run say" KC to Omaha and back same day .Every night at home in our own bed.Every weekend off.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.