34 Hour Restart

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Jun 4, 2007.

1. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

That's not good, cause I am thinking every 3-4 hours it must be a pill he 'should" not be taking behind the wheel. I however could see if I had to drive in Chicago all day why someone would need them :).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drive55cat

drive55cat Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Pa
    You may log multiple stops in one place as one stop. drive55

4. illegal_eagle187

illegal_eagle187 Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    thanks for info on the 34 hour restart

5. jeff1200

jeff1200 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2008
    spokane wash
    logsrus sounds like you got the skinny on this. If I might add one comment/thought If a company driver or leased o/o it might depend on the company giving you a card or letter stating their off duty policy. I have been asked for this from time to time by dot when logging off duty. This might affect the bobtailing home or to the store logging of duty.

6. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Well, thanks for the information. Let me get this straight. If I drive under 8 hours a day I do not have to do this or is it 8.25?

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana

Well If i recall correctly if the driver is not under a load he/she can log off duty without questions. However I would always ask the company for their policy as some are stricter on the DOT regulations. So yeah you are right great point

8. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes 8.25 hours a day would be fine, however I am not a firm believer in running like this but it's what suits you. I thinkyou lose miles/money running like this.

9. Bayle

Bayle Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Cottage Grove, MN
    I would like to just simply thank LogsRUs for all the help she has given me, and countless others here. She personally saved me recently though she didn't know it til now.

I have been out since the 12th of Feb pretty much straight with a few hours back at home. During those hours I went to our main office to turn in paperwork and my log pages. Just so happened that a DOT inspection was going on when I walked in. Of course the inspector wanted to see my log book. (These by the way were my very first entries as a new driver). He looked through the pages with no problem, then he made a Hmmmm, sound. I was thinking oh no; I messed up somewhere.

Well, he pointed out a 4 hour sleeper berth slot I had entered saying that I need to be careful as it counts against my 14 hours if it's under 8 hours. Then he goes down the line and sees that I hit my 14 hours, but I had put in on duty not driving which was the case anyway. He said that if I had put in driving I would have been illegal. I knew that of course because of the information I learned here for the most part. I did go to a good school and learned a lot, but I also learned a lot here as well. And all of my entries were legal and true. I was with another driver so there was no need to not put in the correct information anyway.

Again thanks Logs and everone else that has given up their knowledge to share with us, and I hope to be able to do the same in the future.

10. Sabre4x4

Sabre4x4 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    ok I am in school and going to be on the road soon so I have a ? Ok ive worked my 70 in 8 and I just got to my parking spot and my 14 hours for the day is up. Ok according to the DOT I cannot drive for 10 hours right? So if I am just starting my 34 I cannot drive bobtail for 10 hours right? This is the part that confuses me. We havnt gotten to logging yet at school. All the logging posts that I have read have been very informative and I have learned alot and think I understand most of it. Thanks to Logsrus Thanks for the great posts and demonstrations of logging correctly. I plan on going to work for Werner which doesnt have paper logs but I still want to know and understand logging correctly so if I move to another company later Ill know how to fill out my log book.

11. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Technically you can use your truck for personal use on your 10 hour break, however this depends on your company. I stress to my drivers to try very very VERY hard to get to a place and take your 10 hour break without moving the truck.
    The 34 hour restart I tell my drivers they can do as they please. They can lay down for 1 hour, up 10 (driving around site seeing) visit friends, eat, shower et and lay down for 11 etc.

The 34 hour restart is supposed to be about the driver "not working"

The 34 hour break can consist of you driving around "bobtail" to shop, gamble "no drinking and driving" etc.

AGAIN! CHECK WITH YOUR COMPANY COMPLICY ON THIS!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.