34 Hour Restart

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by LogsRus, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thank you very much. Interesting reading. Please keep it up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dockthumper

dockthumper Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Owen Sound, ON
    It really gets fun when you travel from Canada to the US. You have to stay legal in both countries, and HOS are a little different. You have to follow the stricter rule. IE/ 34 hour reset in the US 36 hour reset in Canada. 11 hours driving in the US, and 13 hours in Canada. To remain legal in both, follow the US 11 hour drive rule, but the 36 hour Canadian reset rule. :biggrin_2554:

4. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    That's why you stay under US rules except follow the below rules

If you know you might got o Canada at any point always
    take 36 hour breaks instead.
    Stay under the 11 & 14 hour rule at all times and you will always be in compliance with the Canada regs.

Always have these things on your logs
    beginning & ending odometer reading
    Truck & trailer licence plate #.
    a 24 hour period off/sleeper within previous 14 days.
    Make sure you write your on cycle 1 on logs while in Canada

I can't think of anything else but know I forgot something??

Main thing is stay under USA regulations on the 11 & 14 hour rule # all times. That's the easiest way to handle it

5. countrycruisers

countrycruisers Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Vienna, IL
    On the Odometer, truck and trl. plate, Does this just have to be on the logs that you are in Canada? Or do they have to be on a certain number of previous days befor you go it? And Does the twenty-four hr period off in the prev 14 day apply to teams? Thanks.
    You know me but Im not tellin.

6. .357magnum

.357magnum Light Load Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Holmes Pa
    Great website, good job Logs! Keep us cavemen straight..........lol.
    Question: During 34 hr restart, do you have to document what you are doing ie: sleeping not sleeping or go back to off duty?

7. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    At home I show off duty. On the road I show sleeper and off duty.

8. Chain Drive

Chain Drive Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Nova Scotia,Canada
    as a Canadain I can tell you, you can not move a truck at all anymore without loging we now have personal use up to 75kms per day and the kms have to be shown and must be bobtail there are lines on new Can. books #### the man!!

9. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yes it's very IMPORTANT drivers understand there is definately a difference between lines 1 & 2. The FMCSA book is very misleading but then you read a Q & A below

Question 26: May a driver record sleeper berth time as off-duty time on line one of the record of duty status?

Guidance: No. The driver's record of duty status must accurately reflect the driver's activities.

If you are relieved of all work/responsibilty from the vehicle and you are away from the truck you should log off duty.
    If your body is in the sleeper you must log sleeper on the log.

If you log sleeper and they prove you was "away" from the truck you will get written up for a false log.

psanderson Thanks this.
  10. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Pretty much the USA & Canada reg is the same on the personal use, however the US does not specifiy a specific # of miles which makes the rule so vague. The US does not specify the # of miles a driver can log as personal use.

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Being away from the truck to go into the truck stop to use the restroom and not note it is a violation?

Do you REALLY believe a company will consider you relieved of all responsibility when you are away from the truck?

Let the truck get hit and no one saw it. Driver you were responsible, but I was in the shower.

Yeah Right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.