3406b laggy power

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Prodirt6000, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Prodirt6000

Prodirt6000 Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Hello,
    We have an 89 9300 with a 3406b. The truck has really laggy power in the low end. Meaning it takes a long time to build boost, but when it does it has good power. It builds about 17 psi of boost under a load. Im not sure how normal that is. I have driven another 9300 with same engine and the truck felt like it had way more power at all RPMs.

Sometimes though randomly when I upshift then accelerate you can hear and feel the raw power and the truck takes right off with a "cloud" of black haze. It almost feels like it should be that way all the time. Can anyone explain this? I'm not doing anything differently that I know of when shifting. It doesnt happen very often.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    I would check the afc . Probley needs a new diafram.
    It's located on the rear of injection pump .it has a metal line going to it from the intake manifold.

2 7/16 nuts hold it on.

Prodirt6000 Thanks this.
  4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    17psi boost would have me looking for leaks.

5. FinkPloyd

FinkPloyd Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Take what I say with a grain of salt as I was still in grade school when I last worked on a B model but your rush of power and smoke leads me to believe your fuel pump/Timing Advance counterweights are worn and sticking closed, and yes your boost is most defiantly low.. should have about an additional 10 psi.

Cant say for certain though as I never had to get that far into the fuel system.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Reason for edit: content
  6. Prodirt6000

Aug 30, 2015
    I changed that Diaphragm in the AFC. did not fix the problem. After researching about the timing advance I think you are right. Truck is in a shop I was told I was going to get a guy that knows 3406b in and out but I have a 20 something year old kid working on it and seems to think it's the air to air or turbo. I mention the timing advance and he is clueless. Trying to find an older mechanic still.

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Definitely check the advance unit for wear. My b model had the same symptoms as that at low rpm. Your boost is low too. Low to mid 20s is closer to where it should be iirc. Id do the advance first and see if that picks up boost.

Prodirt6000 Thanks this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Lots of maybes there. If its only making 17lbs of boost with little to no smoke I would check the fuel supply first. Taking off in a cloud of smoke once in a while says its getting the fuel it needs at that time. Timing advance issues can create smoke and temp problems to go along with the laggy power

Hunterrun Thanks this.
  9. Prodirt6000

Aug 30, 2015
    I made a mistake on my turbo boost. It's a new to us truck, I was looking at the manifold pressure gauge. There is no boost gauge. Found a kenworth dealer that has some old time mechanics that think they can diagnose it. seemed to be pretty knowledgable on the phone. Will post what they come up with. Thanks for all the help!

10. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    Manifold pressure IS your boost gauge.

11. Prodirt6000

Aug 30, 2015
    Oh. I was under the impression there was slight differences.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.