3406b "ticking" sound

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Ben S, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Ben S

Ben S Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Hi guys, I am new to the fourum so forgive if I'm posing in the wrong section lol. So this is my horrific story. I was in the market for a 10 wheel dump earlier this summer. Problem is here in maine you can't find anything that isn't completely rotted out for less than 25k and at that it will still be pretty old and worn.

Well, out of nowhere I found an 81' L9000 with a CAT 3406A with a ten speed, no rust and a new frame had been put under it along with new rears. The guy I got it from was retiring and moving to Florida so I got it right for $9500.00.

All went well for the first couple months and BOOM coolant in the oil. The sleeves were bad and it needed a rebuild. I don't really know much about big diesels so I figured I would have my local diesel shop give me some advice. They ended up quoting me $8500.00 to do an inframe with aftermarket parts.

This just was not in the cards for this year as I am in the pool installation buisiness and my money making season was at its end. Then out of the woodwork my uncle said he had an old White/Volvo he parked 4 years ago with rust issues that had a recently rebuilt 3406B in it. He said I could have the truck and motor if swapping the motor into my truck would save me money. Things were looking up!

So I headed to the shop and got a quote of $2500.00 to $4000.00 to do the swap. I could definately afford that! So long story short they do the swap (took 2 weeks) and I get a bill for 8k. I am now totally screwed. The shop never called and everytime I would check in no change in price was ever discussed. After some negotiating I got them to drop the price to $6500.00 (lucky me...).

So I get the truck back to my place and after a day of hauling theres a long list of things wrong, belt's slipping, no tach, and a "lashing tick" noise coming from the upper right side. These issues were all resolved exept the noise. They said the did an overhead adjustment and said she was good to go. When I asked why it was still ticking all I got was "thats normal for a 3406b". The A never had this sound.

I have plenty of power, no smoke and it starts second rotation everytime even in the cold. Sorry for the long rant but it has put me through hell and back and I just want to be sure this isn't going to be a big issue and if it is what could it be? Maybe I just worry to much lol. Thank's in advance for any advice!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Reason for edit: Spacing paragraphs lol
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    If its been sitting 4 years it could take a while for things to loosen up, Might run some weak cleaner thur the oil. Hope it works out.

Sure someone with more experience with these motors will post more detailed advice.

Ben S Thanks this.
  4. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Are you talking about the side of engine where the exhaust is? It could be a leaking exhaust gasket or cracked manifold. Do you see any soot built up anywhere in that area? If something is cracked or gasket blown it could produce a ticking sound.

Ben S Thanks this.
  5. Ben S

Ben S Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Yes it is right in that area. I looked all over and no traces of soot anywhere, I was kind of hoping I would see some as this would be a nice easy fix.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Does it "tick" all the time or just when you step on the fuel? My old A has 4 broken studs on the front 2 cylinders and every time I step on the throttle it'll make a percussive "chirping" sound because of the exhaust leaks.

Ben S Thanks this.
  7. Ben S

Ben S Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Yeah, it ticks all the time and get's faster as rpm's go up and slow's as the rpm's go down. It almost sounds like a lifter tick in an old worn out gas motor.

truckon Thanks this.
  8. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    It's a bomb. That's why they called them 3406B

josh polk Thanks this.
  9. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Did you get the estimate for the swap in writing? In some states they can only charge a certain percentage over what they quote.
    Good chance it's exhaust leak,with the motor cold,crank it up and start feeling around the manifold,you'll have a couple minutes before it gets too hot.

10. Ben S

Ben S Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Unfourtunately it was a spoken quote, i'll never make that mistake again.....

I'll check the manifold again, everytime I have felt around it so far I get nothing for leaks.

11. Chris smith

Chris smith Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2016
    it might b a injector you should run a test at a shop

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.