3406e keeps frying one cylinder

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Cory wood, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    We had a truck come in with a 3406e 5ek. Has stage one can from pdi, compound turbo setup and was pushing water out. We pulled head and found it cracked, spacer plate between 5,6 cracked and liner flange on 5 cracked. Replaced all that and the truck seemed fine. Made one run and scored liner 5 and has tons of blowby, not sure why. We put another new genuine cat piston and liner along with 6 new injector because 4 of the old ones didn't pass the test. Makes it two days this time and boom liner 5 again. We did put new oil coolers in after it blew the first time. We pull everything again and take the block out this time and have it checked, it's out of square so we get a good used and have it machines and reassemble everything with all new liners, Pistons bearings and the whole shooting match. Runs for 4 days this time and gets liner 5 again. Did notice a tiny noise from the exhaust at idle kinda like a thumping maybe but not sure, that's before it ate a liner and piston. Everything on this motor is new and its liner 5 every time. What in the world is wrong with this thing and what do I do from here? We tore it down already but I find nothing wrong except the liner and piston. Never got hot, great oil pressure. Is the tune getting one cylinder to hot? Any help is appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Yup time to go back to stock parts and software and see if the problem comes back.

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If I'm reading that right you put a different block in there right? If block and everything has been changed I wonder if the issue is with some of the components that were used in both builds, maybe an injector wiring issue or programming fault making #5 injector overfuel.

5. Cory wood

Nov 7, 2015
    That's the only thing I can come up with at this point. Is injector wiring or a tuning issue in the ecm. We are going to take the wiring out of the rocker box while its apart and retune it with a 550 5ek file. Everything else is new in this truck other than wiring and tuning, and it's always cylinder 5

6. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I had a Massey do that to me once. Replaced the rod. Machine shop said it was OK. I do not know if they were wrong or maybe that rod was weak and twisted under load. It would slide side to side on the crank by hand? When you put it back together, head off, turn it 20 or so revolutions drop that cap and look at the bearing. If it has a shinny spot on one side of the bearing the rod or crank is probably bent. Might be able to tell by the old one and or using plastigauge. If you have not be sure the liner is still round after installation. Three cylinder Perkins was not affected by an ECM or the tune, starting fluid probably got it. Just some thoughts, hate that happened to you, please let us know what you find. I would be on the exhaust ports on that pretty hard and regular checking temps the next time.

7. Cory wood

Nov 7, 2015
    All rods are new as well, bought cat cylinder packs with Rods and everything. Bought the cylinder kits found in the 600 horsepower c15. With the slight thump at idle I am thinking it's gotta be something with that injector wiring or the tune.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  8. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Take it out back and .....

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

9. Cory wood

Nov 7, 2015
    Oh yeah, the take it out back and have a mysterious fire is at the forefront for me I promise.

10. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Could the mystery thump be a timing knock.
    Is the piston 4 corner scoring, below the rings or is the heat coming from top to bottom.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  11. Cory wood

Nov 7, 2015
    The liner it scored all the way around from the top to the bottom

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.