3406E Miss

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by sailboatjim, Apr 8, 2015.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Do you have black crap in your filters? I'd maybe cut one open and see what's stopping it up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sailboatjim

sailboatjim Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    No, I don't have any black crap at all from the filters.
    The truck is still doing this and I just got to find what it is.
    It's driving me crazy.
    As long as I can keep my momentum up it will run down the highway with 80,000 total with no problems.
    Yes, it does drop back to 58 from 65 or so on the big hills but that's no real big deal to me.
    The problems comes when I have to leave a red light uphill or someone stops to turn in front of you on a hill and you loose momentum and have to rev it to get things going again. I'm talking 1700 rpm it does it. It just kills you trying to get it moving again.
    I checked the fuel pressure and it is in the 60's at idle and and about 75 at 1800 rpm.

This is what my base looks like and I think the circled area in red is the pressure regulator. Does anyone know how to get it apart? Does it screw together?
    [​IMG]

4. sailboatjim

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    May have answered my own question. Looks Like threads at position 34 so I guess I will try and un-thread it. I figured it was threaded on rather than pressed but didn't want to screw it up if it wasn't.
    [​IMG]

5. Truck engine machinist

Truck engine machinist Light Load Member

Dec 2, 2011
    USA
    Your problem could be injector seats in the head. When the seats are bad, it can clog up the fuel filters with combustion particles. It would also make the engine run bad, due to the air in the fuel. The best way to diagnose this is to run the return fuel, through a line (with a sight glass installed in the line), which you need to run up past the windshield, so that you can observe whether air bubbles or foam show up in the fuel, while it is running bad.
    Another way that sometimes works to diagnose injector seat problems, is to replace the fuel injector o-rings, and observe, whether the problem goes away for a short time, but then comes back again. That shows that the o-rings are getting excessive heat, causing them to fail prematurely.
    The seats can be repaired without removing and replacing the head.

T800H Thanks this.
  6. sailboatjim

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    The head and all the associated parts are brand new.Don't think it's injectors seats

7. sailboatjim

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    Does anyone know what I have to do (what tool I need) to get this pictured item above the fuel pressure regulator valve apart? It screws apart but I can't budge it. I cannot seem to find a rebuild kit for it either. Is there one or do you have to buy a new one?

8. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Have you Looked into bottom of tanks with strong light to see if water or trash is on bottom of tank, you can park on hill with low side at fuel cap and syphon what collects after sitting over night?

9. sailboatjim

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass
    Yes it's fine. Nothing in the tanks.
    I've also heard you can shim the transfer pump too to get pressure up but I don't know.

10. T800H

T800H Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2010
    The Keys
    Jim any updates? got it fixed?

11. Caterpillar Cowboy

Caterpillar Cowboy Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Wyoming
    I had a little miss that turned out to be an exhaust valve adjusting lock nut had backed off and fallen we figure through a oil galley and into the bottom of the pan. The adjuster had backed off all the way. I would think that something like this either on your exhaust side or intake could be causing your troubles, may not hurt to run the overhead. This was on my 5EK too.

As an owner / driver of a 5EK and 6TS, and occasional driver of a MXS, I agree 2100 is spinning a little fast for my liking.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.