3500 Dodge diesel single wheels+tandem axle 3 car hauler.

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Levi, May 31, 2016.

1. Levi

Levi Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    looking at buying a 2004 tandem axle Max Load 3 car hauler.
    need to get cars from Alberta too Utah.
    will my single wheel 3500 dodge diesel work to do thos until i can upgrade too a dully.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sure, if you only haul 1 car, a Smart car.

Terry270 Thanks this.
  4. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Can you? Yes but you will overload the rating on those 2 17" tires pretty quickly. Probably with 2 cars or even 1 big unit.

5. clara

clara Light Load Member

May 3, 2016
    we have rams pulling 3 car haulers but ours are all duallies 3500. you wanna get a dually to do this or else you're gonna run it quickly into the ground. our mechanic explained why when we started...I can't remember it on account of being a woman and not thinking I would eventually buy into the business.

6. Levi

Levi Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    ok. thanks searching for a dully.
    is it worth getting a. single axle international that only requires class five.
    or better off finding another dodge with dull wheels

7. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    So are you trying to stay under CDL as well?

8. Levi

Levi Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    gonna need to figure out the rules i guess. ive been pulling construction trailers up here in Canada for 25 years but nothing that needed any special licensing.
    i will be shipping our cars to auction in USA and hopefully customer units as well. will have to have truck, trailer insured by company.
    i guess i need to call. Montana, Idaho, and Utah to see what they require.
    is there somewhere you can suggest ONLINE that will allow me too educate myself.
    ive been trying to get set up to export units into the USA for 9 months.
    its a lot more work than most people would imagine. but since i injured or i guess wore myself out working 90 weeks, my only option at this piont is to keep putting the time into figuring my new venture out. but at least im enjoying the challenge eh!! lol.
    i appreciate the time taken to respond and help in my efforts. ive learned more in the few replies than i learned searching the Internet for 3 hours.

9. Terry270

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Well I don't want to tell you anything because I don't want to confuse you on this. I am not familiar with Canadian authority or CDL regs only USA. There is a Canadian truckers forum on here and they might be able to further help you out.

I know of only one guy who runs Canada and he has a Dodge 5500 and a wedge trailer so he has a CDL obviously. And I believe he can bring loads into the US but can't bring anything back (could be the other way around, I'll stop here lol)

10. Levi

Levi Bobtail Member

May 31, 2016
    ok. ill check it out. was thinking i might try hauling r. v units back to Canada. so that might be the desision maker between 3500 or 5500.
    so lets get back to some stuff i read earlier.
    which truck is the best for hauling. duramax or Cummins.
    my Dodge has power ive never felt im the 25 years ive been driving diesels.
    had a 6.3 ford i believe it was. unless.
    but have only drove one 2500 duramax 2008.
    my dodge us chipped so maybe thats why i think its much more powerful.
    but i want to know from someone hailing real heavy loads to tell me which truck is best. as long as you dont tell me Ford. lol.

11. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cummins probably has the most aftermarket available, but why not give yourself room to grow and get a medium size truck?
    International 4400-4900 single axle or Freightliner FL series or M2?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.