359 pete front end

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Heavyhaulsteve, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Heavyhaulsteve

Heavyhaulsteve Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Coatesville, pa
    Does any one know if I couldput a carhauler front end from a 379 under my 359and would I have to put the Pete low air ride on the rear because it has the regular Pete air ride on it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckmechanic

truckmechanic Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    You could put the car hauler steer axle under it I would replace the u bolts and spring bushings also make sure the shackles are in good shape.I assume you havr the air track on the rear there's not much you can do to lower the air track maybe run some Lo pros just depends on what the look your going for I'd Probly swap it out with a low leaf it would be cheaper to buy a cutoff and replace the axles because the perches and the tourqe arm mounts are diffrent you can buy just the perches and mounts I've changed plenty of air track mounts due to the lower tourqe arm bolts pulling the threads out bit its a lot of work and you usually have to pull the housing out anyways

4. Heavyhaulsteve

Jul 24, 2011
    Coatesville, pa
    Yea its got the reg air ride

5. truckmechanic

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    It will Probly set a little high in the rear I've lowerd them with just the leveling I belive it is 11" form bottom of lower framrail to where bag cup rides on air leaf is factory I've drooped them a little thee maybe 2" not really suppose to do it that way but they ride a lot better a lot smoother just make sure to check pinion angle and for vibrations

6. Heavyhaulsteve

Jul 24, 2011
    Coatesville, pa
    Yea I was wonderin about that because I read some people say you can start losing u joints and rears by lowering the front that much but the best way would be to put low air leaf under the back end wouldn't it also would the 379 car hauler axle fit a 359 because I don't think I ever seen a 359 with car hauler front end in it that's why I was wondering if it would fit or did they make a car hauler axle for the 359

7. truckmechanic

Jan 14, 2012
    Hi Desert Ca
    I've seen a guy running local with one

8. kustom

kustom Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2010
    coos bay, oregon
    IMG_1363.jpg
    1981 peterbilt 359 with 389 20k lb front suspension and axle with dual steering boxes. I wish i had a better picture of this one, didn't think about it until it was done.

Or&White Trk 3.JPG
    1984 peterbilt 359 with 379 carhauler 5" drop front axle and custom 2 stage drop springs!

9. lowmax07

lowmax07 Bobtail Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Just curious if this project was complete? Any info on the front axle swap as I'm about to do the same. I already have added a rear cutoff from a 06 low air leaf. Now looking to lower the front

10. 83 359exhd

83 359exhd Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Does anybody know where I can find a car hauler front end for sale

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.