378 Wont Start After batteries were taken out???????

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by DirtPit, May 22, 2015.

1. DirtPit

DirtPit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    Got a 95 378 Pete day cab with a 60's series Detroit. Went out to start it this morning to move a backhoe to a jobsite an Batteries were gone. No wires were cut an all hardware was put back in the battery box. Went and checked the other trucks an equipment sitting in outside an no other batteries were taken. Went to load the trailer on the dump truck an noticed all the chains and binders were gone as well as the chains an binders from the neck of the lowboy trailer as well. So a total of 12 binders and chains, an the batteries from the pete were stolen. Went an got new batteries an hooked em up. The truck will crank over but it will not start. What could be the cause of this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 07shaker

07shaker Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Tx

Did you check the fuel tank? If all that stuff was stolen they might have taken the fuel too.

4. DirtPit

DirtPit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    No its got fuel in it

5. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    check under the hood, see if they took the ecm.

6. DirtPit

DirtPit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    Ecm is still there

7. DirtPit

DirtPit Bobtail Member

May 22, 2015
    Everything is where it should be minus chains and batteries but new batteries went in there place and are hooked up properly

8. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Look for smaller wires that connect to the batteries. Positive and negative possibly up to four, the power the ecm.

9. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Ya what BoxCarKidd said. Also may check the inline fuses in those small wires.
    When they removed batteries it is possible they sent a surge to the ECM. Good Luck

10. showtimenga

showtimenga Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2009
    douglas ga
    mine did that come to find out ecm has a battery in for memory is what i was told any how it was dead and when i toke all my bats out it was gone it was liveing on the life of the truck batterys.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.