3rd Party Dispatch Services

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hkronick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. hkronick

hkronick Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Do any of you outsource your dispatch to 3rd party companies to find loads, do paperwork, and such? What have your experiences been like? I've found a couple different services online, but wanted to hear other's opinions. If you haven't tried any, have you thought about it?

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. saddleup

saddleup Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2011
    magnolia, ky
    Why pay someone to sit and look at a load board, we find all our own loads, and our phone rings off the hook all day long. we also do all our own paper work, if you keep good records and keep reciepts straight its not that hard. We also do our Ifta also.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  4. VIAJERO1A

VIAJERO1A Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    The significant difference between you and Nkronick is the tiny very little word WE !!!
    A horse pulls with the strength of one horse.
    Two horses pull with the strength of SEVEN horses !!!
    I am fortunate that I have someone at home taking care of the mountain of paper work needed, otherwise I would be very happy to pay a third party. I pay my girl friend 10% but the only thing I do is drive. Mind you that is money that I would put into the household anyway. She knows of my whereabouts and being part of the business she makes sure we get some nice quality loads.
    For me is a win win situation. On my wish list is to learn to do our own IFTA.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  5. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Wife and i are working towards the same.

I've looked into 3rd parties. Just can't justify them.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  6. hkronick

hkronick Bobtail Member

Dec 11, 2012
    @mndriver - what would help you justify them?

7. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    $50,000+ increase in net profit

Guaranteed

Lilbit Thanks this.
  8. saddleup

saddleup Light Load Member

Sep 30, 2011
    magnolia, ky
    but there are a few times we are not together, so i will look for loads when i stop to eat, fuel and rest.

9. FormerINAuditor

FormerINAuditor Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Indiana
    IFTA returns are not that complicated if you are tracking the miles and fuel anyway. Do you not understand the actual form or how to track the required information? I found that bulk fuel is causes the most problems. If you are not dealing with that issue, the requirements are fairly straight forward. I always hated finding drivers tracking the miles and fuel only to hand a spreadsheet to someone else that plugged in the numbers and charged an arm and a leg for 15 minutes of work passed off to a secratary.

VIAJERO1A Thanks this.
  10. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    You'll never make the money that your capable of if you let someone else book all of your loads....

The only one that works harder than the trucker is?

Nobody.

Finding, negotiating, and booking your own loads is a lot of work sometimes, but it is necessary if you want to make the real money.

Dispatch services will try and tell you that a buck fifty is great money....

No, it is not.

dannythetrucker Thanks this.
  11. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    do the math. a dispatch service only has $5-$10 dollars to gain or lose on a load that will gain or lose you hundreds. Unless you find one willing to be paid a percentage on loads over $2/mile or something of that nature, they simply don't have proper motivation to find loads that make you money.

Example, if a dispatch service is being paid 5% of gross do they have motive to book you a $2.50/mile load when it is easy to book a $2/mile load ? on 500 miles the difference to them is only $12.50. However, with my expenses running around $1.20, the difference to me is $250 net profit. Why would I want to let someone with $12.50 to gain or lose make decisions which gain or lose me $250 ?

Or would it even be rational for me to expect this person to fight for those better loads ? Sure, some days they come easy. but some days you really have to fight for that extra 0.25/mile, and how does someone with only a few shillings to gain make that determination ? Dispatch services are going to grab you the first slightly above average load they can find and call it a day. There's no way they will decide to dig in their heels and find the best rate possible, they just can't afford too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.