3rd Party Dispatch Services

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by hkronick, Aug 13, 2013.

1. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I would think of they provided a service and you made $1 extra they would be worth it.

From what I have seen, they actual hurt an o/o. They just aren't getting the return to spend the time to get the rate.

Exception would be when they are working with the person that just doesn't have skills to be independent. And that person should go and lease some where.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    You may want to look at your business model. Since you are directing and touching money you need to have a brokers authority.

Personally think it is stupid but you have James Lamb going after the traditional dispatch model (just finding and booking loads but not touching money). He claims that is brokering. Many disagree.

The regulations he is using to support this thought are very tight but clear. Most feel that it's the control over finances that make the difference. That would be the reason for the worthless bond that a broker is required to have.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
    Reason for edit: removed quote
  4. osl2007

osl2007 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    miami,fl
    I'm not brokering, I do their invoicing for them through a factoring company, they just use the same factoring company I do, the only time I touch money is on Friday when the factoring company sends a T check. I'm not taking out a bond for that... Lol. .I have my contracts and POA in place

5. BigBadBill

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    I know you aren't "brokering" but based on how the new regulations are written you have a person that is on a vendetta going after dispatch services as unlicensed brokers. I typically think he is a bigger blow hard than me.

But the touching the money will be the part that he will get you with. Read some of his stuff (don't discuss, stay off his radar) and look at how the regulations have been interpreted.

The guy has a few screws lose BUT he has money and the FMCSA on his side with this thing. He has had more than a few that aren't touching money shutdown.

6. osl2007

osl2007 Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2011
    miami,fl
  7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    I had a girl do dispatching for me for a few years. She had family problems and no longer does it. She is an agent for a large brokerage firm and handled 3 independents on the side. She did an awesome job finding me loads and I ran my ### off. She charged a flat $100 per week if you were running or not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.