4-Wheeler Nails The Back Of A Big Rig-Texas

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by HousTank, Jul 22, 2015.

1. HousTank

HousTank Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Houston, TX
    One_tooth_wonder Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    I don't know why they don't show the blood and guts. That's what makes you a safer driver. Just a pic of a smashed up car - that's not the reality of careless driving. A disservice to humanity IMHO. It's really dangerous out here.

browndawg Thanks this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I notice there are no fog line"rumble strips". Those have done a lot to save lives of distracted drivers. Looks like new road. Maybe they haven't yet gotten around to cutting them in.

rachi Thanks this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What's the deal with those flimsy little bumpers on the back of trailers? You would think they'd want something a little stronger back there to keep cars from going under like that.

rachi Thanks this.
  6. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm no expert so I'm sure someone here will enlighten me if I'm wrong; that being said, you have to consider just what you're asking that ICC bar to stop - namely, a 3000+ lb vehicle traveling at highway speeds. Unfortunately it seems the tandems would do a better job of that than a welded-together steel or aluminum frame. Of course, by the time those tandems have stopped that vehicle, the car has already been turned into a convertible - the hard way.

Until some miracle of technology, metallurgy and/or design takes place to make this a moot point it's still up to all of us - both 4-wheelers and truckers - to not drive around with our heads up our rear ends, especially at freeway speeds. I think that's the only thing that would've saved the car and its driver.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, how about that semi stopped on the shoulder? How long was she there? Did she just pull over, or was she there for a good while? And, if she was on the shoulder for long enough, why didn't she have her triangles out? Were her four-way flashers engaged? I guarantee DOT is asking those very same questions right about now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I get the fact that you can only ask so much of steel but I'm sure they can engineer something a little more sturdy than some 1/4" thick C-Channel welded to the back end of a trailer.

tommymonza Thanks this.
  8. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Here's an idea, quit running into the back of trailers, doesn't cost a thing and no engineering costs involved.

9. rayraythetrucker

rayraythetrucker Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2015
    got dirt ?
    the article said the trucker had her 4 ways on

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    To my way of thinking, the ICC bumper did all one could expect in such a situation of an impact of a 4,000 pound vehicle traveling at 60+ MPH.
    At those spends and energy, nothing is going to make the lives of the car front seat occupants any better, even if the ICC bumper held up and the car stopped instantaneously at the rear of the trailer, the car would have completely crushed through to the mid section.

HousTank and Mr.X Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.