5-7-10 year DUI rules?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by PolskiClubRaidowy, Aug 30, 2015.

1. PolskiClubRaidowy

PolskiClubRaidowy Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Ok,so in 2012 I asked a question about my son who got a DUI at the time, I got some good answers but years have passed since then and I need some things cleared up. The topic of driving came up again and there are too many varied answers to this question. So here we go.... The DUI arrest/ticket was issued on 05/2010, a plea for supervision was entered on 11/2010, and all classes/ court supervision was finished on 11/2011. It is my understanding that many doors open at the 5 year mark BUT, does the 5 year mark count on the arrest date or when everything was said and done. SO in this case does the 5 year mark begin this year on 11/2015 (5 years from arrest date) or in 11-2016 (5 years since supervision was completed).? OH and by the way somehow the license was never suspended. Do not know but somehow someone overlooked something and when they finally asked to suspend my sons license on the last court date where he proved the one year supervision was completed, the judge denied it and the suspension of his license never occurred. Blind luck is all it was there since at the time the new law stated that he was supposed to have a mandatory year long suspension. even the lawyer did not know what happened. However I do not know if that can benefit him somehow since the license was never suspended?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Reason for edit: Forgot some info
    born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    I had one 10 years ago and had it dropped down to a speeding charge... On my drivers record it shows up as the date I was found guilty of the lesser charger not the actual date I was arrested on for dui... So I think it's 5 years from the actual plea deal not the arrest date

4. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Since he got court supervision, was it dismissed?? It may not count??

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The arrest date doesn't really count. It's the conviction date or the supervision date.

6. PolskiClubRaidowy

Aug 13, 2012
    so if he entered the guilty with court supervision plea on 11/2010, that means 5 years will come up this November? That makes the most sense but I read that it can be 5 years from when supervision was completed. meaning it wont be till 11-2016. Hopefully the 5 year count starts on the day he plead guilty with court supervision. And the problem isn't with the criminal side of this. Employers will not see it on the background check since it was just supervision. The problem is they WILL see it on the MVR for the CDL

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Go pull his state dmv driving record. And I'd go with the last date listed on that.....

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    only thing really matters is the date each company says they will hire from last conviction
    some companies wont hire me today from 1982-1986 problems

9. PolskiClubRaidowy

Aug 13, 2012
    luckily there was no criminal conviction of any kind. its the driving record however that matters. Thing is that I talked to many Polish guys that drive for predominantly polish companies that have a dui 2-3 years ago but still drive long distance somehow. oh well I guess time will tell. I know someone that will take him into a driving school for a few bucks. So at least hes paying next to nothing for the driving school. On that end there isn't much to loose from a financial stand point so its worth a shot

10. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    The time elapsed before a company hires a driver after a DUI is set by their insurance company. Those polish fellas are probably not making much as their company is probably paying a fortune for insurance. Or that company's insurance isn't worth the paper it's written on. Or both.

11. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    exactly what i mean if the company will hire it is up to them and insurance co whether it is 1 year 10 years or no crimes ever

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.