5.7 mpg loaded or empty

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Dubbs, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I started pulling tanker in sept. When I dropped my truck off I was avg 6.5 mpg (running otr, loaded most miles). It took 2 weeks for the shop to muddle through a 5th wheel riser and install electronic logs. When I left the lot I was getting 6.1 avg and it has been steadily dropping since, I'm down to 5.7 now, I know some of that is from winter fuel, but I should be in the 6's empty... (Numbers are hand calculations, not ecu)

Truck: 2011 Volvo 670 w/ D13 and I shift. 467,xxx miles. Very little idle time. Ave gross 78,000, avg tare 33,000.

Here is what I know:
    The eld shows an instant mpg (reading off the ecu) that is never what my dash says, I.e dash says 5.8, eld will read 100.2 mpg.

Since Sep, I've had an overhead run, oil and fuel filters, blew out air filter. Took it to the dealer, they updated my software and told me 5.7 mpg is GREAT and I should be happy... Changed my def filter also, 3 axel alignment last June.

No codes, no power loss that I can tell... No sputtering. I run 65 all the time, I do the same route most days, ive run it with cruse control and without... No change. Ran it in a company truck when mine was in the shop and it got 7.8!

I'm totally stumped. If it was an ecu malfunction or egr/dpf/scr shouldn't the dealership be able to tell or throw a code? If it was an air to air leak wouldn't my mpg suck all the time? Not just empty?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    I cannot help your situation, only to add it is very bad to blow out air filter. replace with new when needed. blowing out especially with high pressure will only loosen up all the dust & particles & you will not get all of the dirt out, but your engine will suck it in. would like to see a oil analyst after 20,000 miles with a filter blown out.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Perhaps the software update is not helping?

5. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    It definitely isn't helping, but it didn't hurt... Just held steady.

6. rebellogistics

rebellogistics Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2016
    Please post if you find out. Stoops Freightliner told me the same thing about the crap milage. I used to get over 7. Had an in-frame done last spring hasn't helped

7. Robert pound

Robert pound Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    I have a 2012 with d13 Eaton Trans getting 5.4 consistently. Taken to dealer 6 times and say nothings wrong or can't figure it out. I got pissed last time because they charged me and said problem solved. I called and said I didn't like being charged for services not performed like they said and that a $$hole had the nerve to call me a liar. So I called Volvo North American. Yeah that volvo dealer is not gonna be looking to good pretty soon. They said that they need to file an e-service ticket if they can figure it our and the engineers from volvo will either figure it out over the phone or come out and figure it out. But in the meantime any solutions to this terrible fuel mileage I would appreciate it. Also cleaned all fuel components and replaced all fuel lines and connectors! Thank you

8. rebellogistics

Jan 13, 2016
    I'm attaching a link to another thread. I haven't had time to read it thoroughly, but at a glance it looks like the same problem with a solution

9. rebellogistics

Jan 13, 2016
    Having a problem with copying. It's the same forum try searching "battle for fuel milage, 2007 century". It's from May 2013.

10. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Sounds like they updated your software with a more Al Gore-ECO friendly version.......now you're paying the fuel mileage penalty.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. Robert pound

Robert pound Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Guys I am about to cut this truck up into pieces and send it back to volvo. My milage plummeted from yesterday to today. 1453309469265-1522502373.jpg

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.