5.7 mpg loaded or empty

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Dubbs, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Dubbs

Dubbs Bobtail Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I would like to sit down with the epa and have them show me the analysis that shows how my reduced nox output outweighs all the extra tons of co2 I'm pumping into the atmosphere...

windsmith, KB3MMX and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    AMEN!!!
    However they LOVE the INCREASED TAX REVENUE from fuel sales!!
    :-(

4. Robert pound

Robert pound Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    The trip from HELL! I think I might go back there you know! This truck has worst trip ever. I started at 5.4 on fuel and now you see 4.3 #### my c15 625 cat did almost 6. This is bs. It about shakes you out the seat while accelerating and the Jake will do the same if on setting 3. I'm tired! I'm sick and tired if this #### I'm gonna find the closest Volvo dealer and give this truck back I'm gonna park it right inside for them! Right inside their lobby, sales offices, wherever this truck makes it past the front doors. They can deal with it from there . Never ever ever again will I buy a pos volvo.

Rex012 Thanks this.
  5. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Shaking? If mileage is dropping with that symptom it is most likely failing injectors actually.....

windsmith Thanks this.
  6. Robert pound

Robert pound Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Before shaking the milage was already bad then the Jake brake started shaking on setting 3 and the mileage went down some then the truck started shaking on acceleration noncha ge in fuel milage then truck shakes all the time and mileage fell terribly I'm at 4.3 and not going up or down

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Yeah that actually sounds like injector failure or engine harness failure.

I think when it started falling on mpg, you just couldn't really feel it yet until it got worse.

They may have damaged it when in for a overhead too...

There is also a remote possibility you have a fuel line sucking air..

How many miles are on the injectors?

8. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    I'd start work having the balance rates ran on the computer and looking at the overhead again possibly if they screwed something up.
    Hopefully that will be way cheaper than injectors. You're right about the mileage being terrible!

9. Aradrox

Aradrox Heavy Load Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Ya I'm no expert... but even as a rookie in a 10 speed I get 7.5 mpg with my ####spreader maxi pad 13. Go erred to 62mph though so you guys running harder likely get less

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. Rob100100

Rob100100 Light Load Member

Mar 5, 2016

Sounds like it could be your injectors and cups. Take it to a Volvo dealer and have them inspect it. They test it and let you know. Cost of replacing cups and injectors is 5000 to 6000. I have a D13 and had the injectors and cups replaced in October 2015. The truck would just hard start and lost a little fuel mileage(.2 mpg) no shaking though.

Would like to know what happened, drop a line when you can.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Reason for edit: expanded post
  11. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    First of all the digital MPG is usually incorrect. Hopefully yall are doing miles traveled divided by gallons used.

One thing that's being left out here is maintenance of the EGR system, especially the intake side. I only know for a Cummins, that the intake manifold air pressure sensor, the delta-p EGR differential pressure sensor MUST BE changed yearly (or every other year if you want to push it). Then you have the exhaust back pressure sensor that goes bad around 500k-600k. Take all the intake piping out, clean ALL THAT SOOT out with carb and choke cleaner. Replace those sensors. Picture a marathon runner who can only breathe through a straw. The truck must have a CLEAN intake, properly sensing sensors, and an exhaust thats sensing correctly and not plugged up.

This is about all I know to help.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.